Re: [saag] is one or two ports "more secure"

=JeffH <Jeff.Hodges@KingsMountain.com> Fri, 06 March 2015 00:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:08:26 -0800
From: =JeffH <Jeff.Hodges@KingsMountain.com>
To: IETF Security Area Advisory Group <saag@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [saag] is one or two ports "more secure"

Overall, in summary, I remain in the single-port camp.

FWIW, we IETF have been struggling with this topic since at least 1996/1997
when the original LDAP/SMTP/IMAP/POP STARTTLS work began, and there's
detailed discussions in the various archives (where they still exist).

E.g., we (RLBob and I) made arguments for this (single-port per app
protocol, and policy signaling) back in the early "STARTTLS" days [1][2] on
ietf-asid@umich.edu.

Also, it was discussed on ietf-apps-tls@imc.org, eg..

   Serious design flaw in STARTLS documents
   http://www.imc.org/ietf-apps-tls/mail-archive/msg00155.html

   Man In The Middle Attacks and STARTTLS
   http://www.imc.org/ietf-apps-tls/mail-archive/msg00259.html

   (..there's likely yet more..)

MITM and downgrade attacks are a threat whether one is using a {secure,
nonsecure} port pair or a single port, so I don't buy that argument as a
major reason to disfavor a single port approach.

As has been noted in this thread here on this list, a non-trivial aspect of
the problem is signaling security policy. That's discussed some in [3] (it
leverages Chris Newman's work) though unfortunately (in some ways) the
proposal didn't get traction.

=JeffH

[1] [unfortunately, AFAICT, there are no online archives of the
ietf-asid@umich.edu list, so here's copies-by-value..]