Re: [saag] should we revise rfc 3365?

Steven Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu> Thu, 24 May 2012 00:08 UTC

From: Steven Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:08:47 -0400
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: "saag@ietf.org" <saag@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [saag] should we revise rfc 3365?

I'm very much in favor of security realism.  If something
doesn't work, it doesn't work.  One reason I wrote RFC 5406
is that protocols were specifying it as their security solution,
when (a) it was never implemented, and (b) it probably couldn't
work anyway.  DHCP AUTH is a good example -- the whole point
is minimal or no configuration.  I suspect that the proper
security spec there is "buy a switch that blocks rogue DHCP
(and IPv6 RA) packets)."

The specific changes, though, are a lot more difficult.  For
example, I'd leave the SIP stuff alone; I think there's a
disaster there waiting to happen, and I suspect that we will
see security implemented and deployed in a very big hurry.