Re: [saag] time to authenticate dhcp?

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> Tue, 09 December 2008 02:13 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:12:50 -0800
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>, "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc: saag@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [saag] time to authenticate dhcp?
Sender: saag-bounces@ietf.org

I think that this particular conversation has gone from problem to solution to quickly. Or rather we skipped straight from an attack to a patch to defeat that one attack.

I think Steve was right to ask the question whether we should think about DHCP security. But we should do that by thinking about the security properties we rely on from DHCP and might want to rely on in future.

In particular I think that we could do to think in terms of a secure handshake for a client connecting to a WiFi node. Should we be putting the security in the DHCP layer or somewhere else? Should a DHCP handshake in Panera be equivalent to a DCHP handshake on a home network?

What assets are involved here? What are the intrinsic risks that affect those assets? Lets start thinking about the security of the systems that a user is engaged in, not just ad hoc patches to fix one attack.