[sacm] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-sacm-coswid-20: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 08 February 2022 13:33 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sacm-coswid@ietf.org, sacm-chairs@ietf.org, sacm@ietf.org, Christopher Inacio <inacio@cert.org>, Karen O'Donoghue <odonoghue@isoc.org>, inacio@cert.org
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 05:33:50 -0800
Subject: [sacm] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-sacm-coswid-20: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sacm-coswid-20: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sacm-coswid/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document. The document is deep in CBOR &
CDDL so my review is quite superficial as I do not have the expertise on these
domains.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Christopher Inacio for the shepherd's write-up including the
section about the WG consensus, but I would have preferred to see a
justification for the intended status.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS

There appear to be little traffic on the CBOR mailing list about CoSWID but
Carsten Borman is in the acknowledgment section and I am trusting the ART AD
for the CBOR review.

The id-nits tool detects a couple of issues (e.g., RFC 8126 and BCP 26 are
duplicates).

## Section 1

  "While SWID
   and CoSWID are intended to share the same implicit information model,
   this specification does not define this information model, or a
   mapping between the the two data formats.  While an attempt to align
   SWID and CoSWID tags has been made here, future revisions of ISO/IEC
   19770-2:2015 or this specification might cause this implicit
   information model to diverge, since these specifications are
   maintained by different standards groups."

After reading the above, I was wonder whether there is still value to define
such a 'moving target' specification. Suggestion: introduce the extension
mechanism early in section 1.

## Section 2

Is there any reason why some CamelCase names (e.g., "version") are not
identical in the KebabCase names (e.g., "software-version") ? This break
automatic mapping for a minor improvement; hence, a short explanation would be
welcome.

# NITS

## Section 1

"...between the the two data formats...." ;-)

## Other nits

"e.g." and "for example" should be followed by a ","

s/16 byte binary string /16-byte binary string / and similar