Re: [SAM] RG last call for draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-04

Matthias Waehlisch <waehlisch@ieee.org> Sun, 26 February 2012 14:52 UTC

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:52:03 +0100
From: Matthias Waehlisch <waehlisch@ieee.org>
To: Sebastian Meiling <sebastian.meiling@haw-hamburg.de>
Cc: sam@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [SAM] RG last call for draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-04

Hi Sebastian,

  thanks for your comments!

  Handling MTU is more challenging in a scenario of multiple
technologies as envisioned by the common mcast API. Different
technologies may have different MTUs (that may change over time),
interfaces may change dynamically (e.g., mobile scenarios) etc. However,
dealing with MTU issues should not add extra complexity to the
programmer side. It's not very practical if the programmer needs to
check continously the feasible message size, for example. From this
perspective, we think that a programming model and a middleware layer
(implementing the group communication stack) should guarantee some
maximal message size to the application developer.

  Nevertheless, you are completely right that more detailed error codes
are required. We will add extended error codes for the send/receive
calls, which will inform the user about message size issues. We will
also add a new subsection that briefly discusses MTU issues.

Thanks
  matthias

--
Matthias Waehlisch
.  Freie Universitaet Berlin, Inst. fuer Informatik, AG CST