[SAM] Some issues about labelcast protocol

"wanghuinudt" <wanghuinudt@gmail.com> Sun, 17 April 2011 16:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 00:10:52 +0800
From: wanghuinudt <wanghuinudt@gmail.com>
To: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
Cc: sam <sam@irtf.org>, labelcast <labelcast@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [SAM] Some issues about labelcast protocol

Hi Thomas,
    I'm sorry to respond too late. We have been back for a few days, and we discussed some issues which met at IETF80 in Prague.
The main ideas about Labelcast protocol are:

1.Maybe the idea of Labelcast is a little ahead, but IRTF is for long-term research.  It is the trend to add some network-aware function in the Internet itself. Meanwhile, there are some cases which have added some service provider interface in the switching equipment, such as Openflow. In Openflow, the forwarding policy is controlled by a center completely.

2.In RTP/RTCP,  aggregated RTCP feedback is used to monitor the IPTV transmission (See the paper "On the Use of RTP for  Monitoring and Fault Isolation in IPTV",IEEE Network ). In spired by this, we need more functions in the network inside to diagnose the network states. Now the IP routing is mainly based on the shortest path. The forwarding routing can not be adjusted and controlled by the network provider.

3.Transparence  to applications are very important, now we are considering adding some gateways, which can translate Labelcast to RTP/UDP and the applications will not be changed for a different transport protocol.

4. Why not use the existing protocols? Because Labelcast can provide information for monitoring and controlling. In other mechanisms, such as IP multicast, it is not flexible in the routing. And we want to do some work in the internet architecture itself.

Long for your advices. And more feedback is needed by SAMRG members!
Best regards.

                                                                                 Wanghui

2011-04-17

 WangHui
 Ph.D. Student
 Lab 609
 School of Computer
 National University of Defense Technology
 ChangSha, HuNan, China 410073
 Email:  wanghuinudt@gmail.com   or
           wang.hui@nudt.edu.cn   or
           wanghuinudt@yahoo.com.cn