Re: a dedicated SASL WG

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> Sat, 10 March 2001 21:52 UTC

Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:53:03 -0800
To: "Raif S. Naffah" <raif@fl.net.au>
From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
Subject: Re: a dedicated SASL WG
Cc: SASL <ietf-sasl@imc.org>, jlinn@rsasecurity.com, jis@mit.edu, mleech@nortelnetworks.com, "Raif S. Naffah" <raif@forge.com.au>
Sender: owner-ietf-sasl@mail.imc.org

I actually intended to chat with JeffS and JohnM regarding
rechartering of the (concluded) SASL WG at IETF#50...  here
are my thoughts.

I believe the IETF needs to undertake the revision of
SASL [RFC2222] and select SASL mechanisms to Draft
Standard status as soon as possible so as not to
impede the progress of IETF work dependent on RFC2222.
I firmly believe that SASL itself and select mechanisms
are suitable for publication as a Draft Standard.

Hence, I would be supportive of chartering the
a working group to take SASL and a few select mechanisms
to Draft Standard status, in particular EXTERNAL, PLAIN,
and DIGEST-MD5.

Though this WG could also take on engineering of new
mechanisms (including a replacement for GSSAPI), I believe
this should be viewed as secondary to the above objective.
I believe specification of many mechanisms should be done
by other working groups or on an individual basis.

I would recommend against taking on the Java SASL API work.
The Java Community Program is working in this area and the
IETF should avoid competing with the JCP.

I also believe the use of SASL by application protocol
should be left to Application Area working groups.

        Kurt