Re: [Sat] Proposing more use cases for SATP

"Liuchunchi(Peter)" <liuchunchi@huawei.com> Tue, 23 January 2024 07:55 UTC

From: "Liuchunchi(Peter)" <liuchunchi@huawei.com>
To: VENKATRAMAN RAMAKRISHNA <vramakr2@in.ibm.com>, "sat@ietf.org" <sat@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:54:59 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.39.60]
Subject: Re: [Sat] Proposing more use cases for SATP

Hi Rama,

In both 5 and 6, there are different ways in which the protocol could be implemented. Step 2 can be a “data sharing” example (not covered by the SATP-core protocol at this time, which only transfers assets). This is because a payment receipt is not an asset, strictly speaking, but info and evidence. Alternatively, we can eliminate Step 2 altogether and perform 1 and 3 atomically using a swap (this is also not covered by the present incarnation of SATP-core). I can list these alternatives in the use cases draft as examples of interoperability modes listed in the SATP architecture draft.

Cool. I added the alternative diagrams that eliminates step 2, please see attached.
I was thinking the payment receipt can work like “service vouchers” that may work like assets... but it works either way.

I think in each case, the arrow from Step 2 ought to go from User in Payment Network to Content Owner in IP Network, as the incentive for communicating this info lies with the User, who stands to lose stream rights if evidence of payment is not supplied.

(Minor nitpick) In Figure 3, we can re-number the steps to start from 1

Both fixed. But in which case, should there be an extra step of sending/redeeming this receipt from the user to the content owner before actually receiving contents?

So I suggest we drop this scenario and instead just retain the atomic swap one.

… examples of which are already specified in the draft

I agree. And since there’s already a lot of atomic swap examples let’s just drop the case to avoid confusion.

Best,
Peter