Re: [savi] About draft-dong-savi-cga-header-02.txt

Alberto García <alberto@it.uc3m.es> Mon, 20 July 2009 10:57 UTC

From: Alberto García <alberto@it.uc3m.es>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:28:47 +0200
Cc: 'Padmanabha Nallur 73868' <pnallur@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [savi] About draft-dong-savi-cga-header-02.txt

I think the place to do this is in the first link. And the tool SEND + SAVI.
Outside the first link, I think it is too costly to do checks in a per-address basis, and you need other tools (manual configuration, routing info...) for validating prefixes... so just validate prefixes with this tools.

|  IMHO, we don't think even SAVI solutions need to validate the binding of IP
|  address with users etc., only check if a certain IP address is used on a specific
|  link.

Yes, of course. I was not talking at any point in "users".
Again, to check the address, use SEND.

|  >
|  >But that says nothing about the legitimacy of ah host to use that prefix.
|  >For example, give the prefix of your network, and I can generate immediately
|  an CGA that claims to belong to your prefix: CGA = hash ( prefix | public key |
|  etc). And I can use from my network, if the router (and some routers above)
|  does not check source prefixes. Looking only at the CGA nobody can know if my
|  host is authorized to use a prefix or not.
|  >So, CGA does not add anything to prefix protection. You have to provide other
|  means to protect that.
|  I guess the ingress filtering could do this. And savi solutions are the complement
|  for ingress filtering. This point has been discussed before.
|  >
|  >
|  >|  >
|  >|  >|  >
|  >|  >|  >What does this type of solutions has to do with SAVI, considering that
|  >|  >the
|  >|  >|  >charter says: "No changes to hosts are allowed."? Isn't your solution
|  >|  >|  >proposing a change to hosts?
|  >|  >|  Yes, the CGA proposal does not fit for the current charter quit well to
|  >|  >some
|  >|  >|  extend.
|  >|  >|  The reason why we put the CGA-related info in the extension header is
|  >|  >that it
|  >|  >|  has
|  >|  >|  the ability to provide a basic security for the source address like AH &
|  >|  >ESP. The
|  >|  >
|  >|  >The CGA security model does not have much relationship with AH & ESP.
|  Well,
|  >|  >all use keys, but besides that...
|  >|  I mean if we could take the CGA-related information in the extension header,
|  >|  the packet will have AH, ESP and CGA for the basic security characteristics,
|  >|  including integrity, confidentiality, and authentication.
|  >
|  >This is completely different stuff. It seems like generating an opportunistic IKE
|  security context (a la SSL) for a communication, starting with the public/private
|  key pair associated to the CGAs of two hosts. Then you should look at
|  http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-laganier-ike-ipv6-cga-02.txt
|  I am a little confused here. I have already known this draft before. Are you
|  comparing it with my another draft, http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-zhang-shen-sa-
|  cga-00.txt ?

I was not aware of your draft. I wasn't comparing anything, but, from the title of your draft, yes it seems similar.

Regards,
Alberto