Re: [scim] Setting a mutability value such as readOnly or readWrite for whole SCIM resources

Hans-Joerg Happel <happel@audriga.com> Fri, 09 December 2022 17:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 18:51:58 +0100
To: Phillip Hunt <phil.hunt@independentid.com>
Cc: scim@ietf.org
From: Hans-Joerg Happel <happel@audriga.com>
Subject: Re: [scim] Setting a mutability value such as readOnly or readWrite for whole SCIM resources

Hi Phil,

thanks your elaboration! The approach you describe seems basically the
"workaround" we're currently using.

However, this does not seem to be ideal for me.

One use case for us is to manage domains in a PostfixAdmin service via
SCIM [1], where it should be possible to read and probably write (if the
service is configured to allow that) domains (Danny wrote a draft for a
very similar use case, in which domains are read-only [2]. I was talking
to him to probably extend his draft to include our requirements as well).

My problem with the HTTP error solution (or "workaround") is that a
software calling the PostfixAdmin SCIM service would need to attempt
writing/POSTing a domain at least once, in order to find out if this is
supported by the server.

In our case, the software might be an admin user interface or control
panel. I would consider it a bad user experience to let an admin first
try to provide data and try create a domain which eventually might fail
then.

Instead, the software should be able to identify if a certain resource
is writable (e.g., using "mutable" property), so that, e.g., the
creation of domains can be prohibited/disabled in the interface.

Does that make sense for you?

Thanks and best,
Hans-Joerg

[1] https://github.com/audriga/postfixadmin-scim-api