[SCONE] Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-duke-scone-scone-echo-03.txt
Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net> Tue, 29 September 2026 21:14 UTC
Received: from se03.mfg.siteprotect.com (se03.mfg.siteprotect.com [64.26.60.166]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits) key-exchange x25519 server-signature ECDSA (prime256v1) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mx.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 48EB844 for <scone@ietf.org>; Tue, 29 Sep 2026 21:14:53 +0000 (UTC)
Authentication-Results: mx.ietf.org; dkim=none; dmarc=none; spf=pass (mx.ietf.org: domain of huitema@huitema.net designates 64.26.60.166 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=huitema@huitema.net
Received: from smtpauth02.mfg.siteprotect.com ([64.26.60.151]) by se03.mfg.siteprotect.com with esmtp (Exim 4.94.2) (envelope-from <huitema@huitema.net>) id 1xBf9v-001N95-7A; Tue, 29 Sep 2026 17:14:45 -0400
Received: from [192.168.1.112] (unknown [172.56.202.84]) (Authenticated sender: huitema@huitema.net) by smtpauth02.mfg.siteprotect.com (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 4hvWCN1CRYzCSFvKd; Tue, 29 Sep 2026 17:14:40 -0400 (EDT)
Message-ID: <72ec8f59-ca68-476a-b600-314db50cf99a@huitema.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2026 14:14:38 -0700
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
To: Martin Duke <martin.h.duke@gmail.com>, Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>
References: <179055490076.580339.8204288311174540085@dt-datatracker-57df95fc99-fzjcz> <CAM4esxQc_zdcY1K6aSzK_1+ECdU5Yr7JM8GmE4y5F98Qrti3Jg@mail.gmail.com> <7a8a45c1-5c49-4b2d-86c7-24766096b698@app.fastmail.com> <CAM4esxSKc3y85Zwj02bmg=LYXmgXOoM=f=XM8Y06tDA1N6Lpnw@mail.gmail.com> <1d4a92dd-d980-45a7-8950-6075f9ae9818@app.fastmail.com> <CAM4esxR6uvdW-5nM2O_poNh7yUQQ_jVgUD55hhr63gncKPthYw@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Language: en-US
From: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>
Autocrypt: addr=huitema@huitema.net; keydata= xsBNBFIRX8gBCAC26usy/Ya38IqaLBSu33vKD6hP5Yw390XsWLaAZTeQR64OJEkoOdXpvcOS HWfMIlD5s5+oHfLe8jjmErFAXYJ8yytPj1fD2OdSKAe1TccUBiOXT8wdVxSr5d0alExVv/LO I/vA2aU1TwOkVHKSapD7j8/HZBrqIWRrXUSj2f5n9tY2nJzG9KRzSG0giaJWBfUFiGb4lvsy IaCaIU0YpfkDDk6PtK5YYzuCeF0B+O7N9LhDu/foUUc4MNq4K3EKDPb2FL1Hrv0XHpkXeMRZ olpH8SUFUJbmi+zYRuUgcXgMZRmZFL1tu6z9h6gY4/KPyF9aYot6zG28Qk/BFQRtj7V1ABEB AAHNJ0NocmlzdGlhbiBIdWl0ZW1hIDxodWl0ZW1hQGh1aXRlbWEubmV0PsLAeQQTAQIAIwUC UhFfyAIbLwcLCQgHAwIBBhUIAgkKCwQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJEJNDCbJVyA1yhbYH/1ud6x6m VqGIp0JcZUfSQO8w+TjugqxCyGNn+w/6Qb5O/xENxNQ4HaMQ5uSRK9n8WKKDDRSzwZ4syKKf wbkfj05vgFxrjCynVbm1zs2X2aGXh+PxPL/WHUaxzEP7KjYbLtCUZDRzOOrm+0LMktngT/k3 6+EZoLEM52hwwpIAzJoscyEz7QfqMOZtFm6xQnlvDQeIrHx0KUvwo/vgDLK3SuruG1CSHcR0 D24kEEUa044AIUKBS3b0b8AR7f6mP2NcnLpdsibtpabi9BzqAidcY/EjTaoea46HXALk/eJd 6OLkLE6UQe1PPzQC4jB7rErX2BxnSkHDw50xMgLRcl5/b1bOwE0EUhFfyAEIAKp7Cp8lqKTV CC9QiAf6QTIjW+lie5J44Ad++0k8gRgANZVWubQuCQ71gxDWLtxYfFkEXjG4TXV/MUtnOliG 5rc2E+ih6Dg61Y5PQakm9OwPIsOx+2R+iSW325ngln2UQrVPgloO83QiUoi7mBJPbcHlxkhZ bd3+EjFxSLIQogt29sTcg2oSh4oljUpz5niTt69IOfZx21kf29NfDE+Iw56gfrxI2ywZbu5o G+d0ZSp0lsovygpk4jK04fDTq0vxjEU5HjPcsXC4CSZdq5E2DrF4nOh1UHkHzeaXdYR2Bn1Y wTePfaHBFlvQzI+Li/Q6AD/uxbTM0vIcsUxrv3MNHCUAEQEAAcLBfgQYAQIACQUCUhFfyAIb LgEpCRCTQwmyVcgNcsBdIAQZAQIABgUCUhFfyAAKCRC22tOSFDh1UOlBB/94RsCJepNvmi/c YiNmMnm0mKb6vjv43OsHkqrrCqJSfo95KHyl5Up4JEp8tiJMyYT2mp4IsirZHxz/5lqkw9Az tcGAF3GlFsj++xTyD07DXlNeddwTKlqPRi/b8sppjtWur6Pm+wnAHp0mQ7GidhxHccFCl65w uT7S/ocb1MjrTgnAMiz+x87d48n1UJ7yIdI41Wpg2XFZiA9xPBiDuuoPwFj14/nK0elV5Dvq 4/HVgfurb4+fd74PV/CC/dmd7hg0ZRlgnB5rFUcFO7ywb7/TvICIIaLWcI42OJDSZjZ/MAzz BeXm263lHh+kFxkh2LxEHnQGHCHGpTYyi4Z3dv03HtkH/1SI8joQMQq00Bv+RdEbJXfEExrT u4gtdZAihwvy97OPA2nCdTAHm/phkzryMeOaOztI4PS8u2Ce5lUB6P/HcGtK/038KdX5MYST Fn8KUDt4o29bkv0CUXwDzS3oTzPNtGdryBkRMc9b+yn9+AdwFEH4auhiTQXPMnl0+G3nhKr7 jvzVFJCRif3OAhEm4vmBNDE3uuaXFQnbK56GJrnqVN+KX5Z3M7X3fA8UcVCGOEHXRP/aubiw Ngawj0V9x+43kUapFp+nF69R53UI65YtJ95ec4PTO/Edvap8h1UbdEOc4+TiYwY1TBuIKltY 1cnrjgAWUh/Ucvr++/KbD9tD6C8=
In-Reply-To: <CAM4esxR6uvdW-5nM2O_poNh7yUQQ_jVgUD55hhr63gncKPthYw@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"; format="flowed"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Originating-IP: 64.26.60.151
X-SpamExperts-Domain: mfg.outbound
X-SpamExperts-Username: 64.26.60.150/31
X-SpamExperts-Outgoing-Class: ham
X-SpamExperts-Outgoing-Evidence: Combined (0.14)
X-Recommended-Action: accept
X-Filter-ID: 9kzQTOBWQUFZTohSKvQbgI7ZDo5ubYELi59AwcWUnuVJBu1dL2YrQ55DzRl3JD8ThwB0bvBtm4SG tc9ElDd5giu2SmbhJN1U9FKs8X3+Nt127hcteP1p0NVNV47moiZtUnZMMMyaNBeO+OvFQHUlG4JL M0i5ZAms0EHrvcCaVIMFPPwNx0g5Mzd2wwMUHik9GnT3EFAinyrilm9zau/FuzkQt9Nb4Ml7QXdk EetczWCfZW7a9uhvfuE0J/hsBuu+eB7itP8hgjDRserKv4bhb3Du2hHLbfwudMeTkB5rPevEMzer JfQa9UAYKsgEV8p+MUJTS2Jsxpkx+IHIsDarm2U3gyy0nlbakKK22WPBaizjKzb+JrnOTbl8FYp7 CIWjverajYy2yB71RZy29b9HL7yliuqXZvH3i216cQum167W+IpzedlzkpnjqXQfnVCRaQVTujtZ Cgm73S0swcGLmoLrimMERobpuPICcqcvGfXChfeUUdBJPtWpdtISc3auXdiprZ5GErBiJ/VCXsoA xVdcstDQHOaDs8xWo8+C48cDEEectuI8ZRxBxknCnEBSedDd0YkrWrUivwnOB1VC1E9EUDwTCfbS vjFHgHqV660nfW7guvFajH03NHdw/RoPbU6/JaRrWGWURRJvirOEVYonXK7jUVsov73rbodhVXXo nV+E7OMXRvgtdyMlnmWiugrqZvs3sMKlLUBilcC2JlemdWC84noTHXlir/SU2+LFgdd3tn2mV4M0 KuT6LXBt0EcVNVBl2fWAgLNe4L8OkXSwIgwfan+X9/2cLbmMNxqtOaMtDblNvuTvCJ15Rt9EisTO Prm+QDFPw2mQThoTLYsEMysPur9wmiDBurOy6iR4YEyWMP9TTn+Ff9tkdrAxxDM3qyX0GvVAGCrI BFfKfnlA6VwpOVQylnQdoxxgQpn3N7/8c4nlA/6vk6zrtr9hyUN/uquAJR1nxYigtSDaUNokwug3 TnbBbIZ9ZNkXCyeUwrZUyJ8PKi2TiLFWp51IuwTH+R1raBWUbCV3j1zieK6Xy8YqsOR990w7SSnM ppa2RPr6Q4Ue1KEdL6NZl/znJXkVVPSc006zUgMG2KMDF1hz9BAS4J3VKAIui/agy9fb1pRx/Y3h hF7KcUI4ug7tCB/OrUkKQS+lyqNeNmGrA8E2cfsXOpQWecr2Rf74avg=
X-Report-Abuse-To: spam@se02.mfg.siteprotect.com
X-Complaints-To: abuse@se01.mfg.siteprotect.com
X-Spamd-Bar: /
Message-ID-Hash: TDUMHO5EHE333H3LZYSZVDPNKWPBFRXX
X-Message-ID-Hash: TDUMHO5EHE333H3LZYSZVDPNKWPBFRXX
X-MailFrom: huitema@huitema.net
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; loop; banned-address; emergency; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: scone@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.10
Precedence: list
Subject: [SCONE] Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-duke-scone-scone-echo-03.txt
List-Id: Standard Communication with Network Elements WG <scone.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/scone/4X6QtlPRbMVubm0ZLS573gUZzYE>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/scone>
List-Help: <mailto:scone-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:scone-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:scone@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:scone-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:scone-leave@ietf.org>
Doing my own review. 1) Everything Martin said about frequency of updates. 2) Do you really need to say anything about the indicator? I would drop 5.1. 3) The packet number is weird. SCONE packets can in theory be coalesced with handshake packets, and those have different packet numbers. If we use the packet number as a filter against repeats, the handshake feedback will preempt feedback received in early 1RTT packets. 4) Packet number and multipath. Both the packet number space and the path bandwidth are per path, not per connection. I would suggest adding a path ID field in the echo, to specifies for which path the echo is reported. -- Christian Huitema On 9/29/2026 1:42 PM, Martin Duke wrote: > Trimming down again. > > On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 9:12 AM Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net> wrote: > >>> I agree that the text here is vague. I will say that SCONE_ECHO SHOULD >>> wait until the sender has an ack-eliciting packet to send. >> If you do that, you probably need to add some sort of age marker to the >> SCONE_ECHO frame so that the sender, who is reconstructing the throughput >> advice, can account for delays in propagation. >> > Well the frame contains the originating QUIC packet number, which I suspect > is good enough? I put that in there to detect misbehaving network elements, > but this is another benefit of the fiedl. > > >> Yeah, I think that there's a continuum of options here: either report >> every bit of advice that is received (the present design), reporting edges >> (still probably OK, but vulnerable to oscillations if the path doesn't >> supply stable advice), reporting reconstructed advice (simple, but maybe >> imperfect, see >> https://github.com/mozilla/neqo/blob/main/neqo-transport/src/scone.rs for >> a simple, but imperfect algorithm), or maybe insisting on perfect feedback. >> > Reporting edges seems like the sweet spot between limiting traffic and > building too many assumptions into feedback, and adding receiver complexity. > >> I don't really understand what you mean on the second proposal "rather >>> than having the sender run the algorithm." Is that a different proposal >>> from just sending SCONE_ECHO on advice changes? >> The current design requires that the series of SCONE_ECHO packets received >> by the sender are turned into advice. That's what I was referring to. >> > I'm having trouble grokking your distinct concepts of "packets received" > and "advice". Maybe something is unclear in the draft is that the receiver > just gets the raw data back to the sender and lets the sender figure out > what to do with it. A sender that can do scone-echo and scone-protocol is > almost certainly not applying the same processing to the two code paths. > > >>> I suppose this would work, but the cost is sending an expendable packet >>> to avoid sending a transport parameter? That seems like a poor trade, >>> in addition to violating the general principle of "be conservative >>> about what you send." >> An expendable SCONE packet. Something you wanted to do anyway. Assuming >> that you intend to act on advice, I suppose. >> > Presumably, in normal SCONE, the SCONE packet is typically bundled with > useful application data, because you're reasonably sure the receiver won't > drop it? > > >> The concern I have is that scone_echo_send is a commitment to send the >> frame when you get advice. >> >>>> I don't think that scone_echo_receive qualifies as needing the >> indicator here. The indicator is associated with the *receipt* of SCONE >> packets, not the sending of them. >>> The scone-protocol draft says "All new flows that are initiated by a >>> client that supports SCONE MUST include bytes with values 0xc8 and 0x13 >>> as the last two bytes of the payload of the UDP datagrams that commence >>> a new flow, if the QUIC version in use permits the inclusion of data >>> after packets." However imperfect that signal is, I read it to mean it >>> was a signal to the NE that the 4-tuple could carry SCONE, potentially >>> client-to-server. But you wrote the spec, so I'm probably >>> misinterpreting it. Perhaps it needs to be reworded? >>> >>> BTW I'm almost certain I didn't implement this correctly if everyone >>> else shares your interpretation of scone-protocol. >> Yeah, maybe that's a fault in the language there. My interpretation there >> is that you send the indicator if you set the transport parameter. That >> means that the indicator is present if the SCONE packets might flow in the >> opposite direction only. >> > OK, I guess there's no harm in sending more often than necessary. If > everyone agrees that's the interpretation, though, I suggest you reword > scone-protocol and I'll update this as well. > > _______________________________________________ > SCONE mailing list -- scone@ietf.org > To unsubscribe send an email to scone-leave@ietf.org
- [SCONE] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-d… Martin Duke
- [SCONE] Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for dra… Martin Thomson
- [SCONE] Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for dra… Martin Duke
- [SCONE] Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for dra… Martin Thomson
- [SCONE] Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for dra… Martin Duke
- [SCONE] Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for dra… Christian Huitema