Re: [Seamoby] Deadline Approaching: WG Last Call for Paging Assessment Draft

Behcet Sarikaya <behcet.sarikaya@alcatel.com> Fri, 22 February 2002 20:30 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:17:42 -0600
From: Behcet Sarikaya <behcet.sarikaya@alcatel.com>
To: seamoby@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Seamoby] Deadline Approaching: WG Last Call for Paging Assessment Draft
Sender: seamoby-admin@ietf.org

Hello all,
  I think that this is the email I had posted before that is mentioned
in the 3rd paragraph of James' email below, I just am reposting it
(please note that after the discussions it became clearer that
draft-ohba is mainly based on IPv4 was not correct):

  Contrary to the ordinary belief, I think (of course I may be wrong)
that there is no single IP Paging protocol, requirements 4.7 and 4.8 are
pointing to 4 different IP Paging protocols.

  If we may change Pat's question to which drafts to take as the base
then there are natural solutions:

- I hereby suggest draft-ohba as the base draft for mip independent IPv4
based solution.THis draft is mainly based on IPv4 and it does not
attempt to integrate with MIPv4. There are some problems in its
architecture but these can be addressed in the next version.

- I hereby suggest draft-guri as the base for mip independent IPv6 based
solution. This draft is based on IPv6 and no integration with MIPv6 is
attempted. However its architecture must be modified and streamlined
with modified draft-ohba.

For MIPv4 and MIPv6 based solutions, I have trouble in suggesting the
base drafts but the natural solution seems to suggest that

- draft-renker may be modified towards a MIPv4 based solution (please
consider LMM not home agent  based architecture).

-draft-sarikaya and draft-koodli may take a MIPv6 based solution, there
are already some similarities and taking in close consideration of :LMM
requirements and any follow up developments.

James Kempf wrote:

>Folks,
>
>The deadline for WG Last Call on the paging assessment,
>draft-ietf-seamoby-paging-protocol-assessment-01.txt, is Monday 4 PM
>Pacific Time. Please send in any comments by then. At the conclusion of
>WG Last Call, we will be submitting the paging assessment draft to the
>IESG after making any changes that have WG concensus.
>
>Since my last email on this topic, we have had two additional
>suggestions from the WG.
>
>An editorial suggestion was made to divide Section 4 into separate
>subsections. I'll take a look at the document next week and see if this
>makes sense. At first glance, the proposed subsections do look as if
>they would improve readability.
>
>A suggestion was made by another WG member that, instead of selecting a
>single draft as a starting point, the WG should select all drafts and
>have each draft focus on a different part of the paging problem. So far,
>there has been no further comment from the WG on this proposal and so it
>does not look like there is concensus for it at this time. If you are
>interested in commenting on this proposal, please review the email
>describing it at the Seamoby archives and post your comment.
>

>                        jak

Behcet Sarikaya
Network Strategy Group, Mobile Networking Team
Alcatel USA M/S 026
1000 Coit Road  PB7
Plano, TX 75075 USA
Email: behcet.sarikaya@alcatel.com
Phone: (972) 477 2794 Fax: (972) 519 2460