Re: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-hip-hiccups-02

Jan Melen <jan.melen@ericsson.com> Thu, 01 July 2010 13:02 UTC

From: Jan Melen <jan.melen@ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:02:18 +0300
To: David McGrew <mcgrew@cisco.com>
Cc: "draft-ietf-hip-hiccups.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-hip-hiccups.all@tools.ietf.org>, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-hip-hiccups-02

Thanks for review. I will submit a new version as soon as I have gone through all the other review comments from other reviewers.

On Jun 15, 2010, at 12:38 AM, David McGrew wrote:

> ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
> IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
> security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
> these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> There are several points where the draft could be made more clear,
> some of which might impact security.  I've listed those below,
> intermingled with some nits.
>
> Abstract and Section 1.  "secure" is used where "authenticated" would
> be better, since this protocol does not provide any confidentiality
> services or encryption.

Changed as proposed

> RFC 4949 lists "message integrity code (MIC)" as a deprecated term,
> but this term is defined and used.  In this case what is meant is
> "collision-resistant hash"; that phrase should be used in Sections 2
> and 7.  "Checksum" is an inappropriate term for a collision-resistant
> hash and it should be replaced in Section 4.   For the security
> considerations section: does the hash need strong collision-
> resistance, or just second preimage resistance (also called weak
> collision-resistance)?

Replaced with collision-resistance and added preimage requirements to security considerations.

> Section 4 nits: "with help of MIC." -> "with the help of the MIC."
> "HIP DATA packet"-> "The HIP DATA packet"
> "Hash algorithm used to generate MIC is same " -> "The hash algorithm
> used to generate the MIC is the same "

Done

> Section 4.1.  I suggest emphasizing the requirement for the "Sequence
> Number" fields in distinct SEQ_DATA parameters to be distinct.

Done

> Section 4.3. says "Payload Data 8 last bytes of the payload data over
> which the MIC is calculated. This field is used to uniquely bind
> PAYLOAD_MIC parameter to next header, in case there are multiple
> copies of same type."   It seems to me that this uniqueness is not
> guaranteed, but that if the last-8-bytes is not unique, the MIC
> verification process would fail, but that there is no way that an
> attacker could exploit this fact.   I suggest noting this property in
> the security considerations.

Added to Security considerations

> Section 4.3: The PAYLOAD_MIC parameter has a field called "Payload
> MIC".  It would be less confusing if the latter was called "MIC Value"
> or some other named that is distinct from the parameter name.

Done

> Section 4.3 nit: "Identifies the data that protected by this MIC." add
> "is".

Done.

> Section 5.1 nit: "A HIP DATA packet MUST contain SEQ_DATA or ACK_DATA
> parameter if both parameters are missing then packet MUST be dropped
> as invalid." -> "A HIP DATA packet MUST contain either a SEQ_DATA or
> ACK_DATA parameter; if both parameters are missing, then the packet
> MUST be dropped as invalid."

Done.

> Section 5.2 says "The receiver MUST validate these MICs."  It should
> also describe how to validate them, and S 5.3 would be a more
> appropriate place to detail that process.

That is already defined in 5.3.1 so I added reference to that.

> Section 5.2 says " ... no SEQ_DATA sequence number is reused before
> the receiver has closed the processing window for the previous packet
> using the same SEQ_DATA sequence number."  Important question: what
> enables the receiver to tell the difference?   I assume that there are
> some other fields (e.g. nonces) associated with the connection that
> might serve this purpose; if that is right, I suggest documenting that
> fact.

It can be easily checked by comparing the MIC value and I added also a statement on that to section 5.3.1.

   Regards,
     Jan