[secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-rmt-bb-lct-revised-09

Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil> Thu, 02 July 2009 20:54 UTC

From: Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil>
To: iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org, luby@qualcomm.com, watson@qualcomm.com, vicisano@qualcomm.com, Brian Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil>, lorenzo@vicisano.net
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 16:54:34 -0400
Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-rmt-bb-lct-revised-09

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

This paper concerns the Layered Coding Transport building block.  LCT
provides
support for massively scalable protocols using the IP multicast
network service.
LCT supports sessions consisting or multiple channels, all with the
same sender, but
many different receivers.  This makes it compatible with many
massively scalable congestion
control protocols that use this structure.

When we are dealing with massively scalable congestion control
protocols, the question
of denial of service naturally comes to mind.  Thus the security
considerations section
rightly mainly concerns itself with that.  However, it left me with
several questions.

1.  The introduction says that "Protocol Instantiations that use the
LCT building block MUST
address the security requirements described in the following
sections."   But there are no MUSTs
or MUST NOTs in the following sections.  Indeed,sections 8.1 and 8.2
don't contain any recommendations
at all; they simply identify vulnerabilities (which could, however, be
addressed by authentication).  I would
suggest either toning down the introduction ("MUST address the
potential vulnerabilities" instead of "MUST address
the requirements") or beef up the specific sections.

2.  The sections themselves have a kind of piecemeal feel about them,
addressing specific potential attacks, but
without giving a feeling that everything that is covered.  It might be
a better idea to describe what services security mechanisms
could provide (e.g. authentication, confidentiality) describe the
various each service offered by LCT and its vulnerabilities,
and then what security services would address.  I suspect, given the
vulnerabilities that the authors have already described, it
would mostly boil down to identifying which LCT data should or must be
authenticated.

Catherine Meadows
Naval Research Laboratory
Code 5543