Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap-06

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Thu, 14 September 2017 18:04 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: David Mandelberg <david@mandelberg.org>
CC: "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap.all@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 18:04:02 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.3]
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap-06

Hi David,

Thanks for your review.

OSPF is routing internal to a routing operator. Information received from internal OSPF routers are supposed to be trusted. Personally, I would find unacceptable if an attacker could modify such routing information. I don't think that this extension make it any more likely. In term of severity, I don't think that this is more severe than modifying routing information. e.g. link bandwidth in TE advertisement. Not to mention changing the network topology/graph which currently creates micro-forwarding loops in the network. The only additional consequence that I could think of, is advertising (more) tunneling instructions when the decapsulator is not capable of decapsulating the tunnel at line rate. This would overload its decapsulation processing. This is already identified in the security section of RFC5565 that we are citing. In addition, assuming that the node would not crash because of bugs, that would merely create packet drops, while there is so many ways to create ones if an attacker could modify routing information. Starting with a whole network meltdown.
In short, I don't think that this protocol extension significantly change the OSPF security considerations.

--Bruno

Thank you.