Re: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-pw-over-bidir-lsp-08

Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> Thu, 30 June 2016 02:39 UTC

From: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-pw-over-bidir-lsp.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-pw-over-bidir-lsp.all@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 02:39:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.102.135]
Subject: Re: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-pw-over-bidir-lsp-08

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your review and comments!

Please see my replies inline...

OK, how about adding the following text?

For SS-PW:
"In addition, if the received PSN tunnel/LSP end points do not match the PW end points, PE2 MUST reply with a Label Release message with status code set to "Reject - unable to use the suggested tunnel/LSPs" (TBD4) and the received PSN Tunnel Binding TLV MUST also be carried."

For MS-PW:
"In addition, if the received PSN tunnel/LSP end points do not match the PW Segment end points, the receiving PE MUST reply with a Label Release message with status code set to "Reject - unable to use the suggested tunnel/LSPs" (TBD4) and the received PSN Tunnel Binding TLV MUST also be carried."

> Also, is there a specific error case for the security failure, or just the generic
> error message?

Since this is a potential attack, seems it is safer not to deliver more specific reason to the attacker. I think the generic error message is sufficient. How do you think?

> The next nit is tied to the general security profile of LDP, which is specified to
> use TCP(MD5). There is no expectation of privacy for LDP data.
> I am not sure that the new extensions increase the "privacy surface" of LDP.
> They do carry global identifiers of source and destination, and inform about the
> path of packets between these destinations, and it seems that adversaries
> could use that for monitoring and targeting purposes. But it is possible that the
> information is already present in LDP. A note to that effect in the security
> section would have been nice.

Actually, the information is already present in both sides of the LDP session, otherwise the receiving PE cannot bind/match/compare those IDs. IMHO, this new extension does not increase the "privacy surface" of LDP.

The aforementioned information is not special/different from other information (e.g., the FECs, Labels, PE addresses, etc.) that are already transmitted over the LDP session. I'm incline to not add extra text here if you are OK with it.

Best regards,
Mach