Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications-09

"Takeshi Takahashi" <takeshi_takahashi@nict.go.jp> Wed, 26 August 2015 10:36 UTC

From: Takeshi Takahashi <takeshi_takahashi@nict.go.jp>
To: 'Mirja Kühlewind' <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>, draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications.all@tools.ietf.org
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 19:35:59 +0900
Cc: conex-chairs@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications-09

Hi Mirja,

> > I can understand that "the sender can choose to mark inaccurately,
> > which will only increase the likelihood of loss at an audit function."
> > Then, would it be the "sender" who will harm itself?
> > Why do you say that "the receiver will only harm itself"?
> >

> What we wanted to say here is that if the receiver does not provide
accurate
> feedback, by supporting SACK, ECN or AccECN, the sender has to estimate
the
> congestion level. In this case it's the sender's choice to make a very
> conservative estimation by sending most likely too much or risking to get
audit
> losses by potentially understating. Therefore by not providing sufficient
> feedback (based on SACK or ECN/AccECn), even if the receiver would be able
> to do so, the receiver can only hurt itself.
>
> But you are right, I also had to rewrite it twice now, so I'll rephrase
this
> to make it more clear.
>
> > I think "mark inaccurately" in this case means that the sender marks
> > less than actual congestion states.
>
> yes, but remember the sender might not have sufficient feedback to
actually
> know the exact congestion state and therefore has to estimate it. This can
> be done conservatively with will usually send too much marks (where the
sender
> might have to pay for in some way)... or the sender might risk to send not
> enough marks which can cause additional loss.

I got it.
(Until I read your email, I thought you were talking about a malicious
sender who intentionally marks inaccurately.)
This makes sense to me.

> > Does this understanding correct?
> > Or, if the sender marks more than actual congestion states, does that
> > also increase the likelihood of loss at an audit function?
>
> No.
>

> > Questions2: on man-in-the middle attacks.
> >
> > Is it better to address the cases of TCP session hijacks?
>
> I don't think there is an additional risk of actual hijacking (compared to
> TCP without ConEx).
> As ConEx does neither improve nor worsen this, it's not discussed.

I agree. I thought you wanted to mention this in the section, though it is
totally up to you and I do not stick to that at all.
Indeed, you clearly mentioned that ConEx specific security issues are
considered in the other draft.
(Likewise, I thought you also wanted to mention that TCP-specific security
issues are still issues here.)

I do not have any further comments.
This was a fun to read the draft.

Thank you for the work.