Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-opsawg-vmm-mib-02

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> Sat, 23 May 2015 06:13 UTC

Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 08:13:35 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>
Cc: draft-ietf-opsawg-vmm-mib.all@tools.ietf.org, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-opsawg-vmm-mib-02

Christian,

thanks for the review. I am not sure if anything needs changes. The
draft largely follows the security considerations template for MIB
modules. And there is explicit text about GET access:

   [...]  Moreover, the objects in the vmTable,
   vmCpuTable, vmCpuAffinityTable, vmStorageTable and vmNetworkTable
   list information about the virtual machines and their virtual
   resource allocation.  Some may wish not to disclose to others how
   many and what virtual machines they are operating.

   It is thus important to control even GET access to these objects and
   possibly to even encrypt the values of these object when sending them
   over the network via SNMP.  Not all versions of SNMP provide features
   for such a secure environment.

Is this text not already covering your concerns? Below the quoted
text, there is the general boilerplate recommendation to avoid SNMPv1
and to use SNMPv3 instead.

/js