Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-mext-aero-reqs8

"Davis, Terry L" <terry.l.davis@boeing.com> Tue, 25 August 2009 23:35 UTC

From: "Davis, Terry L" <terry.l.davis@boeing.com>
To: 'Stephen Kent' <kent@bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:34:28 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mext-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <mext-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, 'Sam Hartman' <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-mext-aero-reqs@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mext-aero-reqs@tools.ietf.org>, "weddy@grc.nasa.gov" <weddy@grc.nasa.gov>, "'Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)'" <william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-mext-aero-reqs8

Steve

Sorry if I confused this issue in this way.  Aviation does not want to be "special" in any area; PKIs or protocols.  And aviation has long recognized that no single PKI will ever serve it; hence our creation of the Exostar Certipath bridge.  By governmental requirements around the globe, we will deal with a multitude of different PKIs and specific key/hash requirements in our environment.  We want to use generic standard Internet services but our security environment will be more demanding than a typical enterprise or agency as we move from OSI to IP for new aviation communications.

Aviation will be the first try (I'm aware of) at utilizing the IP security protocols in a truly dynamic global heterogeneous environment.
- An aircraft will have generally 1 to 4 active communications links at any given time.

- These will change almost continually between service providers and ground portals.

- Some aircraft, especially those that do continuous global circle routes, will have 20 or more service providers for those various links in a 48 hour period.

- Each service provider is likely to have its' own unique security environment and PKI.

- There is no onboard IT staff!  It all has to happen automatically to make new security associations with the next link provider.

Hence my skepticism on our ability to utilize the IP security protocols (regardless how you spell IPSec ;-) in a dynamic global mobile environment.

If the IETF had not adopted the DHCP protocols they were provided with over 15 years ago, we would not have global roaming connectivity today.  No hotspots, no international hotel usage, no laptop portability even between sites within the laptop's own enterprise, etc.

And providing global "dynamic security association negotiation" is outside of the scope of IETF standards?

To me, not providing a simple "dynamic security association" to insure that our security protocols are fully interoperable and easily implementable in a heterogeneous environment between different vendors would be an abdication of our responsibility to the security of the Internet.

I'll leave at "I think we have some more work to do!"

Take care
Terry