Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-12

"Brandenburg, R. (Ray) van" <ray.vanbrandenburg@tno.nl> Fri, 09 August 2013 06:37 UTC

From: "Brandenburg, R. (Ray) van" <ray.vanbrandenburg@tno.nl>
To: Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inria.fr>, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-avtcore-idms.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-avtcore-idms.all@tools.ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 06:37:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [134.221.225.153]
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-12

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your very thorough review. You will find my comments inline.

Best regards,

Ray

Good point. I will change it to 'out of bound'.

> Then, using "configured limits" is necessary, sure, but not sufficient. What if
> an attacker periodically reports values that are just below this configured
> limit? They should be accepted whereas they will negatively impact the
> session.
> And you cannot reduce indefinitely the configured limits.

As indicated in the text, it's not just the SCs which checks for 'out-of-bound' info. It's the MSAS as well. If the MSAS includes a configured limit of let's say 10 seconds, it can use this as a threshold. Once any receiver is more than 10 seconds delayed from the rest, the MSAS could ignore that receivers reports when deriving the target playout time.

> A third comment. The document only mentions devices (in the example) that
> report erroneous information. The problem is broader than that. The
> attacker may also be on the route between a legitimate destination to the
> source, and be able to alter the report message. Or the attacker may be able
> to forge a packet with erroneous information, masquerading as a legitimate
> receiver. So it would be great to broaden the problem statement with that in
> mind.

While you're absolutely right, I'm not sure we need to try and solve that problem here. Once there is a man-in-the-middle who is able to include falsified RTCP packets in the stream, there are a lot worse things it could accomplish than messing up the IDMS. I think in such cases, one should just use SRTP/SRTCP.

> And then it quickly leads to the idea of message integrity verification (to
> combat packet modification) and source authentication (to combat
> masquerading). You should say something on it.

See my earlier point. Although message integrity and source authentication is potentially an issue, I don't think we need to solve it here. That said, I think you're right that it would be good to mention these issues when mentioning SRTP.

> Of course, the same comments apply for the messages sent on the other
> direction, from source to destinations.
>
> A reference to SRTP is missing. Please add.>

Thanks. Will do.

> Finally, since everything depends on precise time synchronization, it should
> be highlighted that having a secure time synchronization service is absolutely
> required. Otherwise this is another potential means to attack the session.

Good point, we didn't think of that. I will add a note to the security considerations mentioning that the same security vulnerabilities apply to the clock sync part as well.

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the DISCLAIMER at http://www.tno.nl/emaildisclaimer