[secdir] review of draft-ietf-sipcore-reinvite-06.txt

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Thu, 21 October 2010 02:16 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:17:29 -0400
To: secdir@ietf.org
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Cc: gao.yang2@zte.com.cn, pkyzivat@cisco.com, Christer.Holmberg@ericsson.com, Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com, tim.polk@nist.gov, rjsparks@nostrum.com
Subject: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-sipcore-reinvite-06.txt

I reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

This document (draft-ietf-sipcore-reinvite-06.txt) provides
clarification on how to process a re-invite in SIP. The notion of a
re-invite is defined in RFC 3261 (SIP). This document was created to
clarify the description provided in 3261, based on feedback from
implementers. It includes a number of examples designed to clarify.
It is fair to say that this document not only offers clarifications,
but also makes some changes to SIP handling of re-INVITEs. For
example, the document notes that "Section 4.3 specifies new rules for
the handling of target-refresh requests."

The document makes reference to "properly" authenticated requests in
a couple of places (4.4 & 4.6), but provides no indication of what
constitutes proper authentication. I think it would be appropriate to
include references to whatever SIP security mechanisms are currently
recommended for message/session authentication (as opposed to what
3261 said 8 years ago).

The document has a trivial Security Considerations section:

    This document does not introduce any new security issue.  It just
    clarifies how certain transactions should be handled in SIP.
    Security issues related to re-INVITEs and UPDATE requests are
    discussed in RFC 3261 [RFC3261] and RFC 3311 [RFC3311].

I checked 3261 and I agree that this document provides a decent
review of security for SIP in general, but it makes no specific
mention of UPDATE or (re)INVITE messages and attendant security
concerns. RFC 3311 has an almost trivial Security Considerations
section, but at least it does specifically refer to UPDATE and
(re-)Invite messages, briefly, and the need for authentication. I
think it would be appropriate to add a discussion of how these
clarifications operate in various SIP security contexts, e.g., use of
TLS for point-to-point SIP security or use of S/MIME for end-to-end
SIP security. A statement that the security offered for SIP when the
initial call setup was processed cannot be undermined by a later
re-INVITE or UPDATE would be reassuring (if accompanied by a
rationale for that statement :).