RE: Feedback on draft-igoe-secsh-x509v3-01

"Igoe, Kevin M." <kmigoe@nsa.gov> Tue, 30 March 2010 16:06 UTC

Subject: RE: Feedback on draft-igoe-secsh-x509v3-01
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:01:43 -0400
From: "Igoe, Kevin M." <kmigoe@nsa.gov>
To: Joseph Galbraith <galb-list@vandyke.com>, ietf-ssh@NetBSD.org, Douglas Stebila <douglas@stebila.ca>
Sender: ietf-ssh-owner@NetBSD.org

Good suggetions.  Given the existing SSH UserAuth
SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST
and SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_SUCCESS/FAILURE protocol specified in sction 7 of
RFC 4253,
the best we can do is mitigate the need for many rounds of REQUEST &
FAILURE
messages.  Your suggested text addresses that quite nicely.

I'd like to soften the "Verifiers MUST" in the second paragraph to
"Verifiers SHOULD".  Some ssh servers are restricted to a very
limited set of authorized clients.  In such a case, these users may
have been issued certs specifically for this site. The server
need only deal with the signature algorithms used in these certs,
eliminating the need to support a broad spectrum of signatures.