Re: draft-igoe-secsh-x509v3-00

Joseph Galbraith <galb-list@vandyke.com> Tue, 15 December 2009 18:42 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:42:23 -0700
From: Joseph Galbraith <galb-list@vandyke.com>
To: Douglas Stebila <douglas@stebila.ca>
CC: Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>, "Igoe, Kevin M." <kmigoe@nsa.gov>, ietf-ssh@NetBSD.org
Subject: Re: draft-igoe-secsh-x509v3-00
Sender: ietf-ssh-owner@NetBSD.org

Douglas Stebila wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, Joseph and Jeff.
>
> Let me try to summarize the various points from your chain of emails.
>

> First off, points that we will address as requested (although a new
> draft probably won't appear until the new year):
>
> 1) Include more specifics (key encodings, signature formats) and
> examples in the document.  We will do this in the next draft.
>
> 2) Add discussion on keyUsage extensions (digitalSignature for most
> uses in SSH, and keyAgreement for the ECMQV cipher suite).  We will
> do this in the next draft.
>
> 3) Require the first cert in the chain to use the correct type of
> key.  We will do this in the next draft.
>
> 4) Suggest/require the cert chain to only use signatures that are
> acceptable to the peer according to the SSH public key algorithm
> negotiation.  I like Jeff's suggestion that this would mean we
> actually negotiate certs that are useful for the entire process.  I
> will add this in the next draft.  Recognizing, however, that servers
> may have a single cert chain that they can't change on the fly, I
> will include a note suggesting that implementations SHOULD be
> prepared to receive a non-compliant (in terms of algorithms used)
> chain and MAY still choose to verify it if they wish.

When I first read Jeff's (I think) proposal on this I thought it
was a great idea.  Then when I was reading your description above,
I realized that it might not be such a great idea.

I reviewed RFC 4253, 7.1.  Algorithm Negotiation, and what is
actually negotiated is "server_host_key_algorithms".  So the absence
of an algorithm in the list does not imply that the server
doesn't support he algorithm, just that it doesn't have a hostkey
using that algorithm.

This is further supported by the fact that publickey usage during
publickey userauth is not restricted to the algorithms negotiated
during key exchange.

So, based on that, I'm not sure we should actually make any restrictions
based on the negotiated algorithms.

> And some points for further discussion:
>
> 5) Encode certificate chains as a native SSH data structure, not in
> ASN.1.  Kevin and I had discussed this originally and went with ASN.1
> for the following reasons: (a) since certificates themselves are in
> ASN.1, implementations will need to have an ASN.1 tool around anyway;
> (b) I think most existing tools using certificates keep them in
> ASN.1, so someone supplying a certificate chain to an SSH
> implementation is likely using ASN.1 elsewhere for that; (c) the
> certificate chain only needs to be kept as a single blob in the
> filesystem as opposed to multiple files, making configuration easier.
> But if the consensus is that an SSH data structure is more
> appropriate, we can change the draft.

The CERT libraries I've dealt with seem to want to deal with individual
certificates.  I.e., I have to add certificates to a store object of
some sort individually and then the library will build a chain.  Or
I have to put the chain in a C array of CERT* in chaining order.

These libraries probably expose a general purpose ASN.1 decoder, but it
is another piece of code I have to interface with...

All that said... it's not going to break my heart if we use ASN.1 here.

> 6) Extended key usage key purpose IDs.  I must confess to being a bit
> confused about this one.  In the original X.509 in SSH draft, you say
> that SSH implementations SHOULD NOT use extended key usage
> extensions, but then go on to provide some anyway.  Can you help me
> understand what appears to be a contradiction?  Would we need to get
> new OIDs or could we reuse the ones from the previous document?

Yeah... the language in the draft baffled me to, and I wrote it :-)

I think we should pretend the SHOULD NOT phrase was never written
unless someone else can come up with a reason why.

I don't think Data Fellows is involved in SSH anymore, so we'll
probably need new OIDs... is there an ietf pool we can pull from?

> 7) Certificate revocation list / OCSP responses.  You've suggested
> including CRL or OCSP data alongside the certificate chain for
> efficiency purposes.  I'm not a PKI expert either, so I'd like to
> hear more feedback, especially from implementers, on whether this
> would be of interest to them.  I know that SunSSH's support for X.509
> has some consideration of CRL/OCSP, so maybe Jan can comment on what
> he thinks of including that data with the cert chain or handling it
> outside of the protocol.

As an implementor that currently supports the undocumented x.509
protocol, our customers forced us to add a 'Don't do revocation
checking' option because they had systems that couldn't reach the
revocation service.

So I know there is a real problem to be solved.

Thanks,

Joseph