[sfc] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-sfc-serviceid-header-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 04 November 2020 07:06 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sfc-serviceid-header@ietf.org, sfc-chairs@ietf.org, sfc@ietf.org, Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>, gregimirsky@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 23:06:49 -0800
Subject: [sfc] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-sfc-serviceid-header-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sfc-serviceid-header-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sfc-serviceid-header/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below a couple of non-blocking COMMENT points and I would
appreciate it if the authors answered to my points that were closed to be a
DISCUSS.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

-- Section 1 --
Please clarify the following text as NAT only applies to IPv4 and as there is
no private addresses in IPv6 "  Typically,
   because of the widespread use of private addressing in those
   networks, if SFs to be invoked are located after a NAT function, the
   identification based on the internal IP address is not possible once
   the NAT has been crossed. "

-- Section 3 --
While I am not familiar with NSH RFC 8300 and the concept of updating the NSH
context, the following text makes me wonder: "  The classifier and NSH-aware
SFs MAY inject or strip a Subscriber
   Identifier Context Header as a function of a local policy."

It appears to me that a SF would actually increase/decrease the size of NSH
which could lead to two issues: 1) the actual MTU is decreased on the path
*after* encapsulation 2) if ICMP is generated back to the source of the NSH
header, then will the source recognize the NSH packet inside the ICMP message
as it is different ?