[shim6] SHIM_LOC_*_PREF and SHIM_LOC_*_SEND (was: Re: review draft version 12)

Shinta Sugimoto <shinta@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Tue, 19 January 2010 21:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:29:52 +0900
From: Shinta Sugimoto <shinta@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
To: Sébastien Barré <sebastien.barre@uclouvain.be>
Cc: shim6@ietf.org
Subject: [shim6] SHIM_LOC_*_PREF and SHIM_LOC_*_SEND (was: Re: review draft version 12)

Sébastien,

Let me address my view on SHIM_LOC_*_PREF and SHIM_LOC_*_SEND.

The two have different meaning.  SHIM_LOC_*_SEND allows application to
specify source or destination locator, whereas SHIM_LOC_*_PREF allows
application to specify preference of a given locator.  Yes, they are
similar in the sense that both allow application to make selection of
source or destination locator in some form.  However, I prefer to keep
SHIM_LOC_*_PREF because  I think the concept of handling preference of
locators is useful, especially in the cases where are multiple choices.
  But I admit that the current definition of SHIM_LOC_*_PREF in the
document is not aligned with what is defined in RFC 5533, which is
confusing.  We should fix this.

as stated in RFC 5533, preference of locator shall be handled in the
same way as RFC 2782 (DNS SRV).  That is, a preference is represented by
a pair of priority and weight values.  So, I would suggest to keep
SHIM_LOC_*_PREF by applying the following changes to the document:

- update definition of locator information structure (shim_locator{}) in
section 7.1 (define a 16-bit unsigned integer parameter named lc_weight
to store weight value ranging from 0-65535)
- update texts in section 5.5 and 5.6 to make the definition of
preference aligned with RFC 5533.
- provide explanations on how ths shim sub-layer would react in the case
of conflicting situations.  There are at least two situations that we
should think of.  I think Section 10 (Operational Considerations) would
be the right place to have these texts.

1) when the application specifies SHIM_LOC_*_SEND specifying a different
source or destination locator which does not have the highest
priority/weight specified by the SHIM_LOC_*_PREF, the request made by
SHIM_LOC_*_SEND must overwrite the prefenrece specified by SHIM_LOC_*_PREF.

2) when the peer provides preference of the locators, that must
overwrite the preference specified by SHIM_LOC_PEER_SEND or
SHIM_LOC_PEER_PREF.

does this sound reasonable?

Regards,
Shinta