Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com> Mon, 03 October 2005 20:47 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:47:24 -0700
From: Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com>
To: Paul Jakma <paul@clubi.ie>
CC: shim6-wg <shim6@psg.com>, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
Subject: Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Erik Nordmark wrote:
>
>> There is a qualitative difference between the various leap-of-faith
>> security schemes (ssh being one example, I think BTNS is talking of
>> adding the same thing to IPsec), and HBA/CGA as it comes to securing
>> the locator changes in shim6.
>

> Surely we ought to distinguish CGA from HBA here? Only HBA provides a
> unique mapping. CGA is just 'anonymous' public key crypto, as IPSec is.
> IPSec at least does /allow/ for key exchange schemes other than
> anonymous keys, like X.509 cert chains, GSS-API, etc.

No, CGA is qualitatively different to IPsec leap-of-faith as in HBA.
Thus for the perspective of understanding how IPsec leap-of-faith is
different than what we have on the table with HBA/CGA, the CGA vs. HBA
difference isn't critical.
(That doesn't mean that CGA and HBA are identical, but they are the same
in that neither of them rely on leap-of-faith.)

>> Thus the only want Bob can pretend to be Alice (and have the same IP
>> address) is to use the identical HBA parameter data structure. (This
>> isn't hard, since the parameters are sent in the clear.)
>

> Note that if Bob is not MITM, he can still get Alice's HBA, though it
> requires Bob to first communicate with Alice. Eg with some innocent
> unrelated pretence.

Yes.

>> Unlike leap-of-faith schemes, which as part of their nature end up
>> assuming that the first host to connect is who they claim to be, the
>> intrinsic result of having a hash of something in the interface-id in
>> the address, is that we don't need to make any such leap of faith.
>> Which means that we can have a lot more flexibility when it comes to
>> handling attackers like Bob above who is on the path for some amount
>> of the time, but perhaps isn't permanently on the path.
>

> Yes, it's a very nice property of HBA, I must admit. Though, it does
> completely rule out number portability, seemingly (in terms of ULIDs).

But the alternative is leap-of-faith, which, depending on the details,
might allow my laptop to fool your laptop into it thinking my laptop is
  www.google.com with very little effort.

I think being able to recover from a MiTM as soon as the MiTM moves off
the path is an important property.

(FWIW some of this is discussed in
draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-threats-03.txt, which is in the RFC
editors queue.)

   Erik