Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-shim6-applicability-01.txt

Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> Fri, 16 June 2006 20:38 UTC

Cc: shim6@psg.com
From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-shim6-applicability-01.txt
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:38:10 +0200
To: Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com>

On 16-jun-2006, at 18:27, Erik Nordmark wrote:

>> e.g. enforced(!), centrally administered site-wide policy, incl.
>> traffic
>> engineering inbound and outbound. With no way for hosts to make their
>> own decisions, nothing to (re)configure, no DNS complexity, no
>> wastage
>> of bandwidth for keepalive, no communication setup delays (the
>> slow DSL
>> line have already high latency, don't want to add anything to
>> that) etc.

> [FWIW shim6 doesn't have a communication setup delay. But it does
> have "do no harm" security which is missing from your list.]

> But the above sounds like asking for a "free lunch" of a BGP with
> infinite scaling ;-)

Hm, maybe it makes sense to build in address rewriting by routers (or
middleboxes) after all?

That way, the hosts handle the security, but routers can easily
overwrite source addresses and middleboxes that carry more state
could even overwrite destination addresses, as soon as the shim
negotiations have completed.

> Can we do better with respect to traffic engineering without
> throwing out security? draft-nordmark-shim6-esd outlines ways in
> which we can get the same feedback loop from routers as in GSE.

This depends largely on whether we accept the proposed requirement
that hosts are unable to make any decisions of their own. Do we?