Re: [sidr] AD review and progressing draft-ietf-sidr-as-migration-02

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Tue, 03 February 2015 20:30 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>, "draft-ietf-sidr-as-migration@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-sidr-as-migration@tools.ietf.org>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 15:30:46 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sidr] AD review and progressing draft-ietf-sidr-as-migration-02

update: I added the following text at the end of section 5.3 to cover Alia's question about iBGP AS migration. Let me know whether this is acceptable:

Additionally, section 4 of draft-ietf-idr-as-migration discusses methods in which AS migrations can be completed for iBGP peers such that a session between two routers will be treated as iBGP even if the neighbor ASN is not the same ASN on each peer's global configuration. As far as BGPSec is concerned, this requires the same procedure as when the routers migrating are applying AS migration knobs to eBGP peers, but the router functioning as the "ASBR" between old and new ASN is different. In eBGP, the router being migrated has direct eBGP sessions to the old ASN and signs from old ASN to new with pCount=0 before passing the update along to additional routers in its global (new) ASN. In iBGP, the router being migrated is receiving updates (that may have originated either from eBGP neighbors or other iBGP neighbors) from its downstream neighbors in the old ASN, and MUST sign those updates from old ASN to new with pCount=0 before sending them on to other peers.

Thanks,

Wes