Re: [sidr] draft IETF 75 meeting minutes uploaded

Sandra Murphy <sandy@sparta.com> Tue, 25 August 2009 14:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:50:06 -0400
From: Sandra Murphy <sandy@sparta.com>
To: Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>
Cc: sidr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sidr] draft IETF 75 meeting minutes uploaded

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Geoff Huston wrote:

> On 25/08/2009, at 7:48 AM, Sandra Murphy wrote:
>
>> The draft of the minutes (thanks, Roque) has been uploaded to the IETF75
>> meeting materials page at
>> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/75/minutes/sidr.txt.
>>
>> Please review these minutes and provide comments or corrections to the
>> list.
>>

> Hi,
>
> The audo recordings of the meeting provide a good record of what was said, so
> it might make sense for the minutes to attempt to provide a summary of
> discussion and note actions and outcomes.

I recognize that the audio recordings are complete and accurate (as far as
the quality allows).  However, review of the audio recording is difficult,
as it is strictly sequential access.

I believe that the minutes record of the discussion has value over the
audio recording.  The minutes should indeed record actions agreed to in
the meeting and any consensus, and it should also record the opinions
expressed, so that those unable to attend know what was considered.

> So I've taken the liberty of reviewing Roque's notes and editing them a
> little - I hope this is useful

I appreciate the more compressed report style of what you propose, but I
do not think that they should replace the minutes taken during the
meeting.  Not only are the details beneficial (without listening to the
entire audio recording, as I said above), but the summary style you
propose requires effort I don't want to require of the minutes taker.

I'm appreciate that you put some effort into this summary and I don't want
to lose the results.  Would you prefer to leave this summary archived in
the mailing list, or would you prefer to see it appended to the minutes
for the proceedings?

--Sandy