[sidr] Template for RPKI signed objects and revised ROA format

Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com> Fri, 20 August 2010 18:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:53:46 -0400
From: Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com>
To: sidr@ietf.org
Subject: [sidr] Template for RPKI signed objects and revised ROA format

A significant portion of the SIDR ROA-Format draft is spent specifying
the ASN.1 syntax for the CMS encapsulation of the ROA object. (Note also
that the SIDR manifest document also includes this ASN.1 syntax for an
identical CMS encapsulation.)

It was suggested to the authors of the ROA Format draft that the
specification of any future RPKI signed objects would be made much
simpler if we split the specification of the CMS encapsulation (which
pertains to all RPKI signed objects) off from the stuff that is
ROA-specific.

Therefore, we have produced the two attached drafts for your consideration:

draft-achi-rpki-signed-object is a generic template designed to simplify
the specification of RPKI signed objects.
     Note that to instantiate the template and create a new type of RPKI
signed object all you have to do is:
     1. Get an OID to identify the ContentType for the new type of
signed object
     2. Specify the ASN.1 syntax for the content of the new type of
signed object
     3. Specify any additional steps that are required for validating
the new type of signed object (beyond the standard steps required for
all RPKI signed objects which are specified in the rpki-signed-object draft)

draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format is a much shorter version of the roa-format
draft which makes use of the generic signed object template and thus
only specifies the ROA-specific stuff (that is, the three things I noted
above).

Note that breaking up the ROA-format document in this fashion in no way
changes the syntax or semantics of a ROA (i.e., nothing has changes
besides the manner of documentation).

Please take a look at these documents and let us know if this is a good
way forward. (If it is a good way forward we can easily change [i.e.,
shorten] the manifest document to use this signed-object template as well.)

- Matt Lepinski