Re: [sidr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt> (Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to Historic status) to Informational RFC

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Wed, 08 June 2011 23:35 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, Sandra Murphy <sandra.murphy@sparta.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 16:35:32 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-ietf-sidr-iana-objects@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-sidr-iana-objects@tools.ietf.org>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt> (Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to Historic status) to Informational RFC

Interesting thread...

I think it is unwise to retract the iana-objects draft. It says precisely
what it needs to in that it describes the RPKI objects that need to be
issued by IANA under the current implied routing assertions.

I do not believe this document should create a new registry.

What I have already drafted, but not uploaded as I am vacillating between
target workgroups is a new (not -bis) small draft that:

1) Requests that IANA _extend_ all the existing IPv4/v6 registries to
include an explicit global routing assertion.

2) Advises what language to put in future IANA considerations sections of
drafts that request an allocation/reservation of prefixes. (..and probably
updating rfc5226.)

3) Defines the rules for the existing allocations/reservations based on
iana-objects.

The reason I am flip-flopping between where to target this draft is that I'm
comfortable that quite a number of workgroups will want to provide input, as
well as authors from previous drafts which have requested v4/v6 registry
action.

At this stage I thing GROW is the most appropriate workgroup for such a
document as it doesn't specifically sit in the SIDR bailiwick.

That said, I am more than happy to take the co-chair's guidance (noting
Chris is also co-chair of GROW) on this topic.

Cheers
Terry