Re: [sidr] allocation consistency

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Wed, 26 September 2012 12:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:55:23 -0400
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
To: Brian Dickson <brian.peter.dickson@gmail.com>, sidr <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] allocation consistency

Brian,

I've consolidated my reply to your 3 messages.

First, the "live" transfer case _is_ the one that motivated the
discussion of certificates with overlapping allocations and validity
intervals. Your messages suggests that you believe this to be a corner
case and that doesn't warrant allowing overlapping allocation
certificates. The operators with whom this was discussed during the
design phase (e.g., Randy Bush, Chris Morrow, and Warren Kumari) feel it
is a critical case to support. In response to your messages I asked them
about this and they not have changed their minds on this topic, i.e.,
they still see it as a critical capability to support.

That still leaves open the question of how long the certificates in
question should overlap in validity. I polled these operators and there
was a sense that it might be as short as a 17 days, but the overlap
might last much, much longer. It was noted that, ultimately the ISPs
engaging in the transfer will decide how long the overlap will be. So,
it's not clear that it makes sense to posit a max overlap interval in RFCs.

Your third message went into a lot of details about time sync by ISPs.
The bulk of this discussion was not germane to the issue that motivated
the discussion, but maybe I posed the question poorly. The fact that
Tier 1 ISPs usually have access to very accurate time sources is
somewhat relevant, but not probative. The issue is whether ISPs manage
to coordinate procedures across AS boundaries in a fashion consistent
with precise timekeeping.My operator cadre advised me that, in their
experience, smaller ISPs often do not. (Also, the discussion of line
synch between routers on specific links is largely irrelevant to the
RPKI synch discussion.)

When you alluded to time sync in PKIs, I had to chuckle.I have seen a
lot of very sloppy PKI management when it comes to time sync, e.g.,
failure to issue certificates with overlapping validity intervals,
failure to issue CRLs at the next update time, etc. I don't expect ISPs
to be a lot better at this than folks who claim to be in the PKI
business, which is why some of the RPKI documents suggest that RPs be
tolerant of stale CRLs, etc.

On the positive side, we do agree that when the transfer does not
involve addresses that are in use by subscribers/customers, there is no
need for the certificates associated with the transfer to have
overlapping allocations in certificates that are valid simultaneously.

With respect to punching holes in allocations when "non-live" transfers
take place, I understand your concern. Unless the transferred addresses
are at the edges of an allocation, they will create holes in the address
ranges expressed in certificates. In turn, this will preclude secure
origin advertisements for encompassing prefixes, as the ROAs will not
match the advertisement. (Such an advertisement would not be "invalid"
since there is no competing advertisement for the encompassing prefix
that is valid under the RPKI. The status of the advertisement would be
"unknown" which is likely to be a common status for some time as the
RPKI is incrementally deployed.)

Deployment of the RPKI has the potential to reduce a lot of the
de-aggregation that currently arises as ISPs try to counter prefix
hijacking. Sandy Murphy recently suggested that table size increases
attributed to transfers that punch holes in allocations also might be
offset by ISPs revising the prefixes they advertise, as a result of
figuring out how to specify ROAs. In any case, it is not clear that
transfers that punch holes in allocations will have a substantial net
impact on routing table size, given other factors that affect table size.

I note that there is a possible security concern if the ISP that
transfers a prefix (and creates the hole in its allocation) continues to
advertise the encompassing prefix. If the more specific prefix (that was
transferred) becomes unavailable at some ASes, then traffic could flow
to the encompassing prefix, if it is still being advertised. I've been
told that this is not an uncommon occurrence, today, but it's not a
great security outcome. If we had to allow advertising the encompassing
prefix under the RPKI, your suggestion would require a number of changes:

-re-engineer 3779 to allow negative statements about address ranges

-define a new path validation algorithm to accommodate the redefined
3779 extension

-change the ROA specification to accommodate the new 3779 extension

-change the origin validation specification to accommodate the new ROA
specification and 3779 extension

Since there are some adverse security implications associated with the
strategy you propose, it's hard to support the changes that would have
to be made.There might be another way to address this issue (which Sandy
mentioned), that would require fewer changes. We could retain the 3779
syntax and the path validation algorithm, and create a new signed object
to deal with the specific case created by holes. We could call the new
object a joint ROA (JROA). The JROA could represent (joint)
authorization to advertise a prefix, when no single entity holds all of
the address space in question. A set of resource holders could sign a
JROA, authorizing an AS to advertise to aggregated prefix. This would
not require changes to all of the specs listed above; it would require a
new signed object specification, and a revised origin validation
specification, to accommodate both ROAs and JROAs. That said, I don't
advocate the added complexity incurred by this strategy either.

Steve