Re: [sidr] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-publication-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Tue, 31 January 2017 01:20 UTC

To: Rob Austein <sra@hactrn.net>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 01:20:21 +0000
Cc: Chris Morrow <morrowc@ops-netman.net>, sidr-chairs@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, sidr@ietf.org, draft-ietf-sidr-publication@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sidr] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-publication-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Rob,

On 31/01/17 00:58, Rob Austein wrote:
> At Wed, 18 Jan 2017 16:08:24 -0800, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>> DISCUSS:
>>
>> Why is sha-256 hardcoded?
>
> Real answer: because it's hard-coded in RFC 6486 and we were trying to
> use the same hashing algorithm for manifests, this, and RRDP
> (draft-ietf-sidr-delta-protocol).

Hmm. I don't see sha-256 mentioned in 6486 never mind
hardcoded. Is there some indirection I'm missing? (But this
may be moot, see below.)

>>  You could easily include a hash alg-id even as an option and in
>> that way get algorithm agility, as called for by BCP201.  (Or you
>> could use something like ni URIs but that's a bit of a self-serving
>> suggestion;-) Anyway, what's the plan for replacing sha-256 here?
>> (This is a bit of a subset of Alissa's discuss with which I agree.)
>>
>> One possible way to handle this here is to identify sha-256 as
>> the default hash algorithm but to re-define the ABNF for hash
>> to allow an alg-id of some sort to be included there. Or have
>> some generic versioning text somewhere that calls for a
>> version bump if sha-256 is not to be used.
>
> I had been assuming that an algorithm change would be a protocol
> version bump.  Given that the server is probably storing these hashes
> in a database, changing the algorithm is probably a bit more involved
> than just changing the bits on the wire.

WRT clearing the discuss, if the draft said that then I'd
be happy to clear. (Meaning that I don't care how the spec
achieves alg. agility so long as it does somehow.)

Cheers,
S.

PS: I'm happy to chat about stuff below, but no need if we
don't need to:-)