Re: [sidr] WGLC for draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis-03

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Tue, 17 March 2015 18:29 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com>, "sidr@ietf.org list" <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 14:29:34 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sidr] WGLC for draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis-03

nit:
If this is 6810bis, shouldn't it formally list 6810 in the
updates/obsoletes metadata?

Other comments:
Section 6 Expire interval - this seems out of step with the way that we've
done most things in RPKI, i.e. what to do with the information provided is
usually thought of as a matter of local policy. I realize that there is
increasing risk to keeping the data beyond the expiry time as it grows
more stale, but there isn't much justification for why this MUST NOT is
present. I think that perhaps the tradeoff between staleness and
everything failing back to unknown status is something that the operator
needs to weigh themselves. We could provide guidance that [MUST/SHOULD]
NOT keep data from a certain cache beyond expiry time *if* another cache
is available, but acknowledge that in some cases stale info may be more
desirable than nothing at all (unless that's not actually true and I'm
missing something...) This is discussed in the failover scenarios in the
bottom of section 10 (only keep data if you don't have a full set from
another cache) but figured I'd mention it in case we think there's some
tweaks necessary in the section 6 text.

Also -
Since we say in section 10 that it is permissible to hold data from
multiple caches, the doc appears to be missing guidance on what the router
side of RPKI-router should do in the case where there are multiple caches
that disagree with one another. It does say MUST NOT distinguish between
data sources when validating, but that may not cover this scenario. This
may be as simple as recommending that in the case where data from multiple
caches is held and specific entries conflict with one another, there
SHOULD be an odd number of caches so that there is basis for comparison to
determine which cache is out of sync or providing incorrect info. (i.e.
Have 3 so that you can go with the 2/3 that agree)

Thanks,

Wes