Re: [sidr] pCNT & (AS_PATH) prepending: Is it in scope?

"Montgomery, Douglas" <dougm@nist.gov> Thu, 28 July 2011 19:43 UTC

From: "Montgomery, Douglas" <dougm@nist.gov>
To: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>, "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:43:18 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sidr] pCNT & (AS_PATH) prepending: Is it in scope?

The discussion so far has not been protecting/validating if prepending *should have* occurred.    BGPSEC protects the AS_PATH.  Prepending occurs in the AS_PATH.  Today's strawman presented one approach to protect the fact that prepending *did* occur (without comment as if it should have occurred).

With that interpretation, I don't think today's proposal violates the requirement about presuming intent.

This too is good discussion as to what the requirement is.

If we want to protect the common encoding of prepending in the AS_PATH today's strawman provides a simple approach.

I don't know if your example is primarily pointing out another situation where prepending occurs on ingress .... or if we you are proposing that we discuss protecting the intent to prepend.

If it is the latter - that is a significant expansion of requirements - and there are no obvious simple enhancements of bgpsec-00 mechanisms that would get us there.

dougm

Doug Montgomery - Manager Internet and Scalable Systems Research Group / Information Technology Laboratory / NIST