[Sidrops] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-sidrops-rp-06: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 08 April 2020 13:22 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sidrops-rp@ietf.org, sidrops-chairs@ietf.org, sidrops@ietf.org, Nathalie Trenaman <nathalie@ripe.net>, nathalie@ripe.net
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 06:22:27 -0700
Subject: [Sidrops] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-sidrops-rp-06: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sidrops-rp-06: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-rp/

COMMENT:

Thanks for this - I think that this document is useful.  One issue with the
IETF standard format is that it can be difficult to find which RFCs need to be
read to fully solve a particular problem, particularly considering that some of
those RFCs may be updated or obsoleted by other RFCs.  I agree with Warren's
comment that it would make a good living document, if IETF had such things.

In terms of reading the document, I noted that it uses quite a lot of acronyms
that I was not immediately familiar with and that are not defined in the
document.  Perhaps the document could be improved by having a short terminology
section?  The acronyms that didn't appear to be defined include CRL, INR, CA,
ROA.

4.2.1.  Manifest

   To determine whether a manifest is valid, the RP is required to
   perform manifest-specific checks in addition to those specified in
   [RFC6488].

I found the above paragraph as being unclear, in that I don't know what "those"
is referring to, and hence I suggest more clearly identifying “those” checks.

Finally, I agree with Alvaro's comment related to section 4.3:  This document
probably shouldn't be giving recommendations.  Perhaps better to just keep this
as "However, most RP software ignores such objects.", or combine it with the
previous sentence.