Re: Relay control in SIEVE ???

ned.freed@mrochek.com Fri, 31 October 2003 18:26 UTC

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:18:42 -0800
From: ned.freed@mrochek.com
Subject: Re: Relay control in SIEVE ???
To: "Guðbjörn S. Hreinsson" <gsh@centrum.is>
Cc: ietf-mta-filters@imc.org
Sender: owner-ietf-mta-filters@mail.imc.org

> Just my 5 cents. I have Brightmail installed in 3 MTA machines running
> proprietary software on Solaris.

> Brightmail includes a SIEVE implementation for filtering out site specific
> BAD email messages.

> After using this, I wish every MTA would have a SIEVE filtering capability
> so I don't have to learn all the different methods for filtering by the myriad
> MTA software out there.

Please compare what you have written here with the subject of this thread.

Specifying filters that are applicable to more than one user, or applicable
to all users, is one thing. Specifying filters that control MTA behavior,
especially behavior as it pertains to detecting and controlling unauthorized
relay attempts, is quite another.

I view the former as being well within the purview of sieve. I view the
latter as being far out of scope.

> Since we have a filtering language RFC, why not
> use it? Let's simplify the world - it's complex enough.

As it happens we have not one but two drafts in this general area:
draft-degener-sieve-multiscript-00.txt and
draft-daboo-sieve-include-00.txt. So this idea is already being pursued.

> But the case in point is, SIEVE is intended for final delivery filtering, not
> at the MTA level.

The conflation of sieve with final delivery offers no real impediment to
performing system level actions.

				Ned