Re: [Sigtran] Client/Server Operation in M3UA IPSP

"Brian F. G. Bidulock" <bidulock@openss7.org> Fri, 23 September 2005 20:28 UTC

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:27:56 -0600
From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <bidulock@openss7.org>
To: Peter Woodhouse <peterw@artesyncp.com>
Subject: Re: [Sigtran] Client/Server Operation in M3UA IPSP
Cc: sigtran@ietf.org
Sender: sigtran-bounces@ietf.org

Peter,

Peter Woodhouse wrote:                                                               (Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:28:29)

> Hi All,
>
> After the recent plugtest, it was suggested that this issue should be
> brought up here just for confirmation. So here goes.
>
> In IPSP mode of M3UA, should there be any difference between how the
> client side and the server side operate?
> For example, is it valid for the server side to send ASPUP?
> Also, should the client send NTFY messages?

In SE mode, one side sends ASPUP.  In DE mode, both sides.

> The way we interpret the RFC is that there is zero difference between
> client and server at M3UA level. The only difference is that the client
> side brings up the SCTP association.

In both modes either side (or both sides) can initiate the SCTP
association.

> Looking back through previous drafts of M3UA, section 1.4.8 of
> draft-ietf-sigtran-m3ua-06.txt did say "In the case of IPSP to IPSP
> communication, the peer endpoints using M3UA SHOULD be configured so
> that one always takes on the role of client and the other the role of
> server for initiating SCTP associations and M3UA messaging."
> However the M3UA part was removed for draft 07 onwards.

This was struck because it was not necessary.  Either side (or both sides)
can initiate the SCTP association.

> In fact, I don't think Double Exchange would work if you dissallow the
> sending of ASPUP from the server side.

In SE mode, one side sends ASPUP.  In DE mode, both sides.

--brian

> Comments?
>
> Peter

Brian F. G. Bidulock