RE: [Sigtran] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sigtran-sua-15.txt

john.loughney@nokia.com Thu, 02 October 2003 09:57 UTC

From: john.loughney@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Sigtran] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sigtran-sua-15.txt
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:56:36 +0300
To: bidulock@openss7.org, sigtran@ietf.org
Sender: sigtran-admin@ietf.org

Brian,

> > Actually, there are a lot of problems with the changes made from
> > sua-14 to sua-15 as follows:
> >
> > +   SCTP - Stream Control Transport Protocol.
> >
> > That would be Stream Control TRANSMISSION Protocol.  There are quite a
> > few places in the document where this error is made.  Even in the
> > references:
> >
> > +   Signalling Connection Control Part-User signalling over IP using the
> > +   Stream Control Transport Protocol. The protocol is designed to be
> > +   modular and symmetric, to allow it to work in diverse architectures,
> > +   such as a Signalling Gateway to IP Signalling Endpoint architecture
> > +   as well as a peer-to-peer IP Signalling Endpoint architecture.
> >
> > -   [2960]         RFC 2960 "Stream Control Transport Protocol" R.
> > +   [2960]         RFC 2960 "Stream Control Transport Protocol", R.
> >                    Stewart, et al, November 2000.

Done.

> > Please use "Siganlling" instead of "Signaling".
> >
> > +   PC - Signaling System no. 7 Point Code.

Done.

> > Network Appearance:
> >
> > +   Network Appearance - The Network Appearance is an SUA local
> > +   reference (typically an integer) shared by SG and AS that together
> > +   with a Signalling Point Code or global title uniquely identifies an
> > +   SS7 node by indicating the specific SS7 network it belongs to.
> >
> > Network appearance has no meaning in relationship to a Global Title.
> > Global Titles are independent of signalling point code and are only
> > meaningful to the node performing global title translation.  Strike
> > global title from the definition.

Done

> > +   code (PC) and sub-system number (SSN).  The subsystem identified by
> >
> > That should be "subsystem number," no hyphen.

Done

> >  1.4.1 Support for the transport of SCCP-User Messages
> >
> >     The SUA supports the transfer of SCCP-user messages. The SUA layer
> > -   at the SG and at the ASP support the seamless transport the user
> > -   messages between the SG and the ASP.
> > +   at the signaling gateway and at the ASP support the seamless
> > +   transport the user messages between the signaling gateway and the
> > +   ASP.
> >
> > Above should be "transport of user messages" instead of "transport the
> > user messages".

done.

> >  1.4.2 SCCP Protocol Class Support
> >
> > -   Depending upon the SCCP-users supported, the SUA shall support the 4
> > +   Depending upon the SCCP-users supported, the SUA supports the 4
> >     possible SCCP protocol classes transparently.  The SCCP protocol
> >     classes are defined as follows:
> >
> > Why the removal of SHALL?

Editorial clean-up.  IESG complained about 'shall' - in my opinion, it
doesn't affect the meaning.

> >  1.5.2 Address Mapping at the ASP
> >
> > -   An ASP routes responses to the SGP that it received messages from;
> > -   within the routing context which it is currently active and
> > -   receiving traffic.  The routing context itself is used by the ASP to
> > -   select the SGP.
> > +   An ASP routes all responses to the SGP that it received messages
> > +   from; within the routing context which it is currently active and
> > +   receiving traffic.  The ASP uses the routing context to select the
> > +   SGP.
> >
> > The second sentence is clearer, but the first sure is not.

I put the first version of the first sentence back in.

> >  1.5.4 SCTP Stream Mapping
> >
> > -   The SUA supports SCTP streams. The SG/AS needs to maintain a list of
> > -   SCTP and SUA-users for mapping purposes.  SCCP-users requiring
> > -   sequenced message transfer need to be sent over a stream supporting
> > -   sequenced delivery.
> > +   The SUA supports SCTP streams. Signaling Gateway SG and Application
> > +   Servers need to maintain a list of SCTP and SUA-users for mapping
> > +   purposes.  SCCP-users requiring sequenced message transfer need to
> > +   be sent over a stream supporting sequenced delivery.
> >
> > Above use "Signalling" instead of "Signaling".  Also, ALL SCTP streams
> > support sequenced delivery.  Please say "stream with sequenced delivery"
> > instead of "stream supporting sequenced delivery".

Done

> > +   The Reserved field is set to 0 in messages sent, is not be examined
> > +   on reception.
> > +
> >
> > Please make the above a proper sentence.  Something like: "The Reserved
> > field is set to 0 in messages sent and is not to be examined in messages
> > received."

Done

> >     Implementation note: This message covers the following SCCP
> >     messages: unitdata (UDT), extended unitdata (XUDT), long unitdata
> > -   (LUDT).
> > +   (LUDT). Sequence Control is set to 0 for class 0 messages.
> >
> > This change is incorrect.  Please remove this addition.  We discussed this
> > long ago and Sequence Control is required in class 0 messages for some
> > network configurations and for proper MTP relay accross a relay point.
> > It might not be provided by the SCCP/SUA-User for class 0, but then the
> > SUA layer (at ASP, IPSP or SGP) must ultimately select a  loadsharing value.
> > That is why we made the parameter MANDATORY for all protocol classes.

Done.

> >     Note 1:    When the SSN is included, the DUNA message corresponds to
> > -              the SCCP N-STATE primitive. When SSN is not, the DUNA
> > -              message corresponds to the SCCP N-PCSTATE primitive.
> > +              the SCCP N-STATE primitive, and contains just one point
> > +              code in the Affected Point Code parameter. When SSN is
> > +              not, the DUNA message corresponds to the SCCP N-PCSTATE
> > +              primitive.
> >
> > The DUNA can contain multiple affected point codes even if the SSN is
> > included.  This is particularly the case when the SG or IPSP supports
> > the same subsystem on multiple point codes.  Please put it back the
> > way it was.

Done

> > -   Note 1:    When the SSN is included, the SCON message corresponds to
> > -              the SCCP N-STATE primitive. When SSN is not included, the
> > -              SCON message corresponds to the SCCP N-PCSTATE primitive.
> > +   Note 1:    When the SSN is included it must be equal to 1. If the
> > +              SSN is included the SCON corresponds to the N-PCSTATE
> > +              primitive used to convey the Restricted Importance Level
> > +              (RIL) to the SCCP user. When the SSN is not included, the
> > +              SCON message corresponds to the SCCP N-PCSTATE primitive
> > +              reporting signalling point or network congestion status.
> >
> > No, the SSN doesn't have to be 1.  Where did you get that idea?

Do you suggest returning to the original text?

> > -   Note 1:    The DUPU corresponds to the SCCP N-PCSTATE primitive.
> > +   Note 1:    The DUPU corresponds to the SCCP N-PCSTATE primitive, and
> > +               contains in the Affected Point Code parameter just one
> > +              point code.
> >
> > Particularly as User/Cause is always the SCCP SI number, multiple affected
> > point codes can occur.  Please put it back the way it was.

Done

> >  3.4.6 Destination Restricted (DRST)
> >
> >     The DRST message is optionally sent from the SG to all concerned
> >     ASPs to indicate that the SG has determined that one or more
> >     destinations are now restricted from the point of view of the SG, or
> >     ASP is expected to send traffic to the affected destination via an
> >     alternate SG of equal priority, but only if such an alternate route
> > -   exists and is available. If the affected destination is currently
> > -   considered unavailable by the ASP, the peer should be informed that
> > -   traffic to the affected destination can be resumed.  In this case,
> > -   the SUA layer should route the traffic through the SG initiating the
> > -   DRST message.
> > +   exists and is available. If the ASP currently considers the affected
> > +   destination unavailable, the peer should be informed that traffic to
> > +   the affected destination could be resumed.  In this case, the SUA
> > +   layer should route the traffic through the SG initiating the DRST
> > +   message.
> >
> > This is only true if the DRST corresponds to TFR.  Note also that the
> > DRST cannot correspond to N-PCSTATE because there is no N-PCSTATE primitive
> > for PC restriction (it is an MTP concept only).  This message corresponds to
> > N-COORD that has little to do with the description above, no matter how is is
> > worded exactly.

What do you suggest as text?

> > -            0x17      Routing Key Change Refused
> > +            0x17      Not Used in SUA
> >
> > Good, but you forgot to remove the statement later:
> >
> >    The "Routing Key Change Refused" error is sent when the SG refuses a
> >    change in the Routing Key parameters.

Text removed.

> > -   User/Cause                           0x010C
> > +   Cause / User                         0x010C
> >
> > Everwhere else in the document it is referred to as User/Cause, execpt here:
> >
> >  3.10.12 Cause / User
> >
> > Change both of these to "User/Cause".

Fixed.

> >      0010     This is most commonly used in North American networks.
> >                The Translation Type implicitly determines Nature of
> >                Address and Numbering Plan. This data can be configured
> >                in the SG. The number of digits is always even and
> >                determined by the SCCP address length.
> > -    0011                     Numbering Plan and Translation Type are tak
> > +    0011                     Numbering Plan and Translation Type are taken over. It
> >                is implicitly assumed that the Nature of Address =
> >                Unknown.
> > -    0100                     This format is used in international networ
> > +    0100                     This format is used in international networks and most
> >                commonly in networks outside North America. All
> >                information to populate the source address is present in
> >                the SCCP Address.
> >
> > Above is text extending past 72 columns that was truncated in sua-14.  Please
> > shift the text over.

Fixed.

> >       0              Unknown
> >       1 - 63         International services
> >       64 - 127       Spare
> > -     128 > 254      National network specific
> > +     128 û 254      National network specific
> >       255            Reserved
> >
> > Non ASCII character, again.

Fixed.

> >            Value     Description
> >             0x0      No special options
> >             0x1      Return message on error
> >
> > -                    Bits 3-7 are spare and SHOULD be coded zero, and MUS
> > +                    Bits 3-7 are spare and SHOULD be coded zero, and MUST be
> >           ignored by the receiver.
> >
> > Again text extending beyond 72 columns.

Fixed

> >  4.3 AS and ASP State Maintenance
> >
> > -   The SUA layer on the SGP maintains the state of each remote ASP, in
> > -   each Application Server that the ASP is configured to receive
> > +   The SUA layer on on the SGP maintains the state of each remote ASP,
> > +   in each Application Server that the ASP is configured to receive
> >     traffic, as input to the SUA message distribution function.
> >
> > All this change did was introduce a typo: "on on".

Fixed

> > +      1 IPSP Single Exchange (SE) model. Only a single exchange of
> > +        ASPTM or ASPSM messages is needed to change the IPSP state.
> > +        This means that a set of request from one end and acknowledge
> > +        from the other will be enough. This configuration requires
> > +        static RK configuration.
> > +
> > +      2 IPSP Double Exchange (DE) model. Both IPSPs have to send
> > +        request messages and both IPSPs have to acknowledge the request
> > +        messages from the other end. This results in a double exchange
> > +        of ASPTM and ASPSM message, one from each end. This
> > +        configuration supports dynamic routing key configuration by
> > +        using RKM messages in the same way as ASP-SGP scenario.
> >
> > Remove mention of RK configuration.  This has not been agreed.

Done.

> > +   In order to ensure interoperability, an M3UA implementation
> > +   supporting IPSP communication MUST support IPSP SE model and MAY
> > +   implement IPSP DE model.
> >
> > Change M3UA to SUA above.

Done

> > +   * Reception of messages from the peer M3UA layer at the ASP/IPSP;
> > +   * Reception of some messages from the peer M3UA layer at other
> > +   ASPs/IPSPs in the AS (e.g., ASP Active message indicating
> >
> > Change M3UA to SUA above.

Done.

> > +   ASP-DOWN: The remote M3UA peer at the ASP/IPSP is unavailable and/or
> > +   the related SCTP association is down.  Initially all ASPs/IPSPs will
> > +   be in this state. An ASP/IPSP in this state SHOULD NOT be sent any
> > +   SUA messages, with the exception of Heartbeat, ASP Down Ack and Error
> >
> > Change M3UA to SUA above.

Done

> > +   ASP-INACTIVE: The remote M3UA peer at the ASP/IPSP is available (and
> > +   the related SCTP association is up) but application traffic is
> > +   stopped. In this state the ASP/IPSP SHOULD NOT be sent any DATA or
> > +   SSNM messages for the AS for which the ASP/IPSP is inactive.
> > +
> > +   ASP-ACTIVE: The remote M3UA peer at the ASP/IPSP is available and
> > +   application traffic is active (for a particular Routing Context or
> > +   set of Routing Contexts).
> >
> > Change M3UA to SUA above.

Done

> > +   SCTP CDI: The SCTP CDI denotes the local SCTP layer's Communication
> > +   Down Indication to the Upper Layer Protocol (M3UA) on  an SGP.  The
> > +   local SCTP layer will send this indication when it detects the loss
> > +   of connectivity to the ASP's peer SCTP layer.  SCTP CDI is understood
> > +   as either a SHUTDOWN_COMPLETE notification or COMMUNICATION_LOST
> > +   notification from the SCTP layer.
> > +
> > +   SCTP RI: The local SCTP layer's Restart indication to the upper layer
> > +   protocol (M3UA) on an SG.  The local SCTP will send this indication
> > +   when it detects a restart from the ASP's/IPSP's peer SCTP layer.
> >
> > You now have two SCTP CDI and SCTP RI paragraphs.  Those above and these
> > below:  Delete the ones above because they have M3UA instead of SUA.
> >
> >    SCTP CDI: The SCTP CDI denotes the local SCTP layer's Communication
> >    Down Indication to the Upper Layer Protocol (SUA) on an SGP. The
> >    local SCTP layer will send this indication when it detects the loss
> >    of connectivity to the ASP's peer SCTP layer.  SCTP CDI is understood
> >    as either a SHUTDOWN_COMPLETE notification or COMMUNICATION_LOST
> >    notification from the SCTP layer.
> >
> >    SCTP RI: The local SCTP layer's Restart indication to the upper layer
> >    protocol (SUA) on an SG.  The local SCTP will send this indication
> >    when it detects a restart from the ASP's peer SCTP layer.

Done.

> > The diagram now says "Other IPSP in AS Overrides".  Please say
> > "Other ASP/IPSP in AS Overrides".
> >
> >                 |      Other   +-------|              |
> > -               |   ASP in AS  |       +--------------+
> > +               |   IPSP in AS |       +--------------+
> >                 |   Overrides  |           ^     |

Done

> >  4.3.4.2 ASP Down Procedures
> >
> >     The ASP will send an ASP Down message to an SGP when the ASP wishes
> >     to be removed from service in all Application Servers that it is a
> > -   member and no longer receive any DATA, SSNM or ASPTM messages.  This
> > -   action MAY be initiated at the ASP by an M-ASP_DOWN request primitive
> > -   from Layer Management or MAY be initiated automatically by an SUA
> > -   management function.
> > +   member and no longer receive any Connectionless or Connection -
> > +   Oriented, SNM or ASPTM messages.  This action MAY be initiated at the
> > +   ASP by an M-ASP_DOWN request primitive from Layer Management or MAY
> > +   be initiated automatically by an SUA management function.
> >
> > Above change SNM to SSNM.

Done

> >     When an ASP wishes to withdraw from receiving traffic within an AS,
> > -   the ASP sends an ASP Inactive message to the SGP or IPSP.  This
> > -   action MAY be initiated at the ASP by an M-ASP_INACTIVE request
> > -   primitive from Layer Management or MAY be initiated automatically by
> > -   an SUA management function.  In the case where an ASP is processing
> > -   the traffic for more than one Application Server across a common SCTP
> > -   association, the ASP Inactive message contains one or more Routing
> > -   Contexts to indicate for which Application Servers the ASP Inactive
> > -   message applies.  In the case where an ASP Inactive message does not
> > -   contain a Routing Context parameter, the receiver must know, via
> > -   configuration data, which Application Servers the ASP is a member and
> > -   move the ASP to the ASP-INACTIVE state in each all Application
> > -   Servers.  In the case of an Override mode AS, where another ASP has
> > -   already taken over the traffic within the AS with an ASP Active
> > -   ("Override") message, the ASP that sends the ASP Inactive message is
> > -   already considered by the SGP to be in state ASP-INACTIVE.  An ASP
> > -   Inactive Ack message is sent to the ASP, after ensuring that all
> > -   traffic is stopped to the ASP.
> > +   or the ASP wants to initiate the process of activation, the ASP sends
> > +   an ASP Inactive message to the SGP or IPSP.
> >
> > Change above to "initiate the process of deactivation" nstead of "initiate
> > the process of activation".

Done

> > Also, above you have delted the description of the ASP Inactive procedure for
> > Override mode.  Please put back:
> >
> > -                     In the case where an ASP Inactive message does not
> > -   contain a Routing Context parameter, the receiver must know, via
> > -   configuration data, which Application Servers the ASP is a member and
> > -   move the ASP to the ASP-INACTIVE state in each all Application
> > -   Servers.
> >
> > and
> >
> > -             In the case of an Override mode AS, where another ASP has
> > -   already taken over the traffic within the AS with an ASP Active
> > -   ("Override") message, the ASP that sends the ASP Inactive message is
> > -   already considered by the SGP to be in state ASP-INACTIVE.  An ASP
> > -   Inactive Ack message is sent to the ASP, after ensuring that all
> > -   traffic is stopped to the ASP.

Done

> > The following addition:
> >
> > +4.8 NIF Not Available on SGP
> > +
> > +   If the SG (all the SGPs) is isolated from the NIF, then all the users
> > +   are isolated from the SS7 network.  A DUNA(*) message MUST be sent
> > +   from the SGPs to all the ASPs.
> > +
> > +   If only one SGP in the SG is isolated entirely from the NIF, the SGP
> > +   SHOULD abort its associations. An alternative would be for the SGP to
> > +   send ASP Down Ack.
> > +
> > +   If one or more SGP suffer a partial failure (where aborting the
> > +   association(s) would cause all active AS(es) to fail), then the SGP
> > +   MUST send DUNA messages for the affected SPC(es).  This is the case
> > +   where an SGP can continue to service one or more active AS(es), but
> > +   due to a partial failure it is unable to service other(s) active
> > +   AS(es).
> >
> > Please remove the entire addition.  The M3UA IG has removed this.  That is
> > the problem with adding stuff from the M3UA IG.  The M3UA IG has not gone
> > through Last Call.

Done.
´
> > +   [SIGSEC]       J. Loughney, M. Tuexen, J. Pastor-Balbas, "Security
> > +                  Considerations for SIGTRAN Protocols", Work in
> >                    Progress.
> >
> > There is a Work In Progress as a normative reference.  This draft will be
> > held until this reference becomes an RFC.

Yes, I understand.  This was the IESGs point.  They wanted the SIGTRAN security
document to be an RFC before SUA would pass the IESG, this is why SUA has been
held up.

John