RE: [Simple] Appear Offline

<Silvestr.Peknik@tietoenator.com> Fri, 13 April 2007 06:03 UTC

Subject: RE: [Simple] Appear Offline
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:03:46 +0300
From: Silvestr.Peknik@tietoenator.com
To: sunqian@huawei.com
Cc: simple@ietf.org

Hi

I've been thinking about it, and my previous suggestion (do not publish
anything) is not correct. I agree with David Viamonte, that if you want
to appear offline you simply set your status to closed.

You want to appear offline, which means that you want to be able to use
IM service, but you do not want to be seen. Setting your presence status
to "closed" should not have impact on your usage of IM. So I think you
do not need "appear offline" option in presence document. When you
indicate to your IM client that you want to appear offline, it will set
presence status of IM service tuple to closed while keeping your online.

Does it make sense?

Silvestr

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-presence-
>rules-09.txt
>It uses a specific Action in presence rules, i.e. <actions><sub-
>handling>polite-block</sub-handling></actions>, to "tell the server to
>place the subscription into the "active" state, and to produce a
presence
>document that indicates that the presentity is unavailable.  A
reasonable
>document would exclude device and person information elements, and
>include only a single service whose basic status is set to closed."
>
>2. The second one is from IM SIMPLE of OMA, it looks like what David
>replied.
>"The IM subscriber SHALL be shown to his contacts with presence status
>"offline" to his contacts when the "invisible" option is switched on."
>"Upon receiving a service setting request containing the <vis-settings>
>element, as defined in Appendix E, from an IM User the IM Server SHALL
act
>as a Presence Source."
>"In the case when the value of the active attribute of the <vis-status>
>element is "closed", the IM Server SHALL perform the publication of
>presence information as defined in [OMA-Pres-Spec] "Publication of
presence
>information". The IM Server: SHALL set the value of
"Application-specific
>Availability for IM" Presence information element to unavailable"
>
>3. I did saw some products had realized this feature using <note>
element.
>:)
>4. Do not publish your presence information, very simple!
>
>Maybe we can also use "transformations" to archive this job,
><transformations><provide-services><hidden/></provide-
>services></transformations>, this transformation turns the status of
all
>service into "closed". It looks not bad.
>
>Anyway, should we do something here to avoid confusion and potential
IOP