[Simple] Re: MSRP, CPIM and MIME content

Ben Campbell <bcampbell@dynamicsoft.com> Mon, 20 October 2003 13:28 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <bcampbell@dynamicsoft.com>
To: Pekka Pessi <Pekka.Pessi@nokia.com>
CC: simple@ietf.org
Subject: [Simple] Re: MSRP, CPIM and MIME content
Sender: simple-admin@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:26:49 -0500

Pekka Pessi wrote:

> Ben Campbell <bcampbell@dynamicsoft.com> writes:
>
>>As far as mandating that we always use message/cpim, we did require that at
>>one time, but the wg consensus was for the protocol to allow any mime type.
>

> 	According to my recollection the WG consensus was to proceed
> 	with both campbell drafts as WG items (im-sessions aka msrp and
> 	cpimmsg-sessions). cpimmsg-sessions was killed because of
> 	comedia, I think. But they are your drafts, not mine.
>
> 	Again, it would be very beneficial and practically free to have
> 	CPIM container in SEND messages. Having that does not prevent
> 	anyone from sending any MIME type they want, they just have to
> 	add an empty CPIM container there. Receivers can ignore CPIM
> 	containers, unless there is a Requires header.

The current draft allows message/cpim, and provides a way that either
endpoint may insist on it. But considering that our preferred use-case
is end-to-end with no intervening relays, and that endpoints may insist
on using TLS, requiring all sessions to use mesage/cpim seems very heavy
weight.

> 	As the MSRP stands now, we need to have a Content-Type with evil
> 	inner quoting rules (which need to be added to the ABNF). That
> 	would be fifth Content-Type header in our implementation, all
> 	those five headers having slightly different quoting rules.

Can you elaborate on the required quoting rules?

> 	What about including MIME object in MSRP, just like a MIME
> 	object is included in CPIM? We could even save extra CR-LF and
> 	define that line starting with "Content-" will start a MIME
> 	object.

We already support including any MIME object. We do still require the
crlf. I am not sure saving the two bytes is worth the change.