RE: [Simple] WGLC: partial notification

hisham.khartabil@nokia.com Mon, 03 May 2004 12:54 UTC

From: hisham.khartabil@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Simple] WGLC: partial notification
To: mikko.lonnfors@nokia.com, rsparks@dynamicsoft.com, jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com
Cc: simple@ietf.org
Sender: simple-admin@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 15:07:10 +0300

Actually, the text is described in draft-ietf-simple-winfo-format-04.txt:

"version: This attribute allows the recipient of watcherinfo
             documents to properly order them. Versions start at 0, and
             increment by one for each new document sent to a
             subscriber. Versions are scoped within a watcherinfo
             subscription. Versions MUST be representable using a 32 bit
             integer. However, versions do not wrap."

and

"The
   version number MUST be initialized with the value of the "version"
   attribute from the "watcherinfo" element in the first document
   received. Each time a new document is received, the value of the
   local version number, and the "version" attribute in the new
   document, are compared. If the value in the new document is one
   higher than the local version number, the local version number is
   increased by one, and the document is processed. If the value in the
   document is more than one higher than the local version number, the
   local version number is set to the value in the new document, the
   document is processed, and the watcherinfo subscriber SHOULD generate
   a refresh request to trigger a full state notification. If the value
   in the document is less than the local version, the document is
   discarded without processing."

If the problem exists for partial notification, then it also exists for winfo, and for any event package that defines partial state. The text quoted above to winfo is much similar to what I suggested for the use of version.

/Hisham