Re: pidf namespace, was: Re: [Simple] comments on draft-ietf-simple-rpid (long)

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Mon, 01 March 2004 05:37 UTC

From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
CC: Simple WG <simple@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: pidf namespace, was: Re: [Simple] comments on draft-ietf-simple-rpid (long)
Sender: simple-admin@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:34:12 -0500

According to the RFC editor:

2003/10/29   draft-ietf-impp-cpim-pidf-08.txt
IANA
H. Sugano, S. Fujimoto, G. Klyne, A. Bateman, W. Carr, J. Peterson
Presence Information Data Format (PIDF)

IANA seems to be taken its time, but it seems late to try to change a
fairly basic part of PIDF at this time.

The only limitation of using targetNamespace that there can't be another
extension that also defines activity, relationship, etc., just in a
different namespace. From a practical perspective, this seems like an
advantage, not a drawback. Having two IETF extensions that use

<foo:activity>
and
<bar:activity>

seems to invite confusion to address non-problems (lack of coordination
[these are IETF extensions, after all] and shortage of English words).