RE: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-messaging-requirements-00.txt

<Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com> Wed, 28 June 2006 14:50 UTC

Subject: RE: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-messaging-requirements-00.txt
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:50:26 +0300
From: Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com
To: simple@ietf.org

Hi,

I have taken the editorship of the Advanced Messaging Requirements document. The purpose of the document is to cover all the messaging related requirements that SIMPLE WG is planning to work on (or in some cases has already worked on) beyond the basic page or session mode functionality provided by SIP MESSAGE and MSRP. Currently this includes the following items:
- IM dispostion notifications (IMDN)
- Is-Composing
- Content capabilities
- Page-mode groups

The -00 version of the WG document has just been submitted. The baseline for the WG document was an old draft by Jonathan Rosenberg, draft-rosenberg-simple-messaging-requirements-01 that has been expired for quite a while now.  The update was based on discussion within an ad hoc design team formed during IETF 65: myself, SIMPLE chairs, Eric Burger, Ben Campbell, Sean Olson, Paul Kyzivat, Aki Niemi and Salvatore Loreto. The main purpose at this point was to remove all the requirements that we did not think SIMPLE anymore had interest to address. At the moment the draft represents the rough consensus within the team, and now a wider review and discussion within the SIMPLE WG is expected.

The main changes compared to the original draft are listed below. Please review the draft and comment, especially if you think there are messaging related functions that you think SIMPLE should work upon and that are not covered in the current draft.

---

Here are the main things I tried to do:
- Remove all the requirements that we think we won't even try to address. In case this was not clear based on the discussion so far, I marked the requirement as an open issue.
- Point out the cases where there are already existing specifications (RFCs or mature WG drafts) that provide solutions to the requirements. In practice these include MSRP, is-composing and multi-recipient MESSAGE request specs.

More specific changes since the version I received from Jonathan:
- Added myself as a co-author. I kept Jonathan's name there as well, since a lot of text is from him. It's up to Jonathan if he wants to remain as a co-author.
- Made small changes in abstract and intro to explain that the document mainly lists requirements that are not addressed by baseline SIP MESSAGE or MSRP specs but are on more advanced messaging capabilities. Also explained that in some cases the specifications meeting the reqs actually already exist, and in that case those specs are called out in the relevant sections.
- Added references to is-composing and multi-recipient MESSAGE specs in sections where reqs met by them are presented. Also pointed out that MSRP itself already addresses the req about maximum message size.
- Section 2
  - Renamed delivery notifications as disposition notifications
  - Removed reqs 9, 14, 18, 19, 20
  - Reworded most of the other reqs. Some of this is just new terminology, but there are also other changes. Please review!
  - There are open issues related to four requirements. The most important of them is related to aggregation.
  - Note that there are now no reqs related to session-mode IMDN
- Section 3
  - Requirements remained untouched. I just added a comment that req 8 is not addressed by the existing is-composing RFC. So, should it be removed?
- Section 4
  - Reqs were untouched. Added a comment that req 1 is already met by MSRP. Req 2 is an open issue.
- Section 5
  - Requirements were untouched. I believe multi-recipient MESSAGE supports all of them.

---

Regards,
	Markus

Markus Isomäki