AW: [Simple] Expressing XML support for common-policy and extensions

"Tschofenig, Hannes" <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com> Fri, 06 January 2006 16:58 UTC

Subject: AW: [Simple] Expressing XML support for common-policy and extensions
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:58:11 +0100
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Cc: simple@ietf.org
Sender: simple-bounces@ietf.org

hi martin,

> Hi Hannes,
>
> Thanks for reading the draft and giving me some feedback.
>
> I can't help but feel that you have missed my point.  Yes
> those documents are meant to do the same thing, but I think
> it far preferable to have that thing done once, in a way that
> can be repetitively applied.  This problem exists, not only
> for IETF extensions, but also to extensions introduced by
> other bodies and private vendors.  Simply saying that the
> work could be included in another document dodges the issue.

my comment regarding including the content into another document was
meant to address the aspect of having one additional document per
authorization policy document.
we could also move the "capability" stuff into the respective document.

to me it seems that the approach suggested by jonathan was simple enough
to deal with this extensibility functionality. my goal is to try to keep
things as simple as possible. with
<draft-ietf-simple-common-policy-caps-00.txt> the approach was exercised
once and can be used with additional extensions. so far there aren't too
many extensions. hence, there is no problem of dealing with extensions
of other organizations and private vendors. the authorization policies
developed in geopriv are not meant to offer a generic policy mechanism,
such as xacml, to keep it as simple as possible.

> With regards to complexity, I believe that you have a valid
> concern, but that is limited in a few ways.
>
>  - Because the level of abstraction I chose is quite general,
> this specification is written in a way that addresses a very
> large problem space.  For that reason, it has to cover a
> large amount of corner cases.  This is the case with many
> generalized specifications.  However, when these
> specifications are applied, the complexity is often
> invisible.  For instance, based on my experience with the
> WSDL 2.0 spec, at first read is daunting, but its application
> is quite simple and elegant.
>    This document is a base-level specification that requires
> other specifications to define how it is used.  The using
> specification can limit the functionality in any way
> necessary to determine the level of complexity that is deemed
> necessary.  The XPath profile I defined is included for this reason.
>    If this was applied to common-policy, I could see that
> much of the complexity could be removed, since the
> requirements aren't very great.

>  - This document enables a "write once" software module - you
> should not underestimate the advantages of not having to
> update software.  In my experience, many software development
> houses are willing to accept a small cost of complexity when
> other factors are favorable: features, reuse, code size,
> performance, and available third party implementations.
i don't see that the other approach requires a complex implementation
instead./

ciao
hannes