[Simple] Re: [Sipping] MESSAGE Exploders draft

Miguel Garcia <Miguel.An.Garcia@nokia.com> Tue, 20 April 2004 16:40 UTC

From: Miguel Garcia <Miguel.An.Garcia@nokia.com>
To: ext Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Subject: [Simple] Re: [Sipping] MESSAGE Exploders draft
Sender: simple-admin@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:22:04 +0300

Hi Paul:

Thanks for your comments. Answers inline.

ext Paul Kyzivat wrote:

> Miguel,
>
> In general the approach in the draft seems reasonable to me.
>
> I see one area of ambiguity, having to do with how multipart bodies are
> handled. The draft says to remove the list and include everything else.
> But even your example doesn't do that - it also removes the
> multipart/mixed wrapper. Of course in this particular example that makes
> perfect sense, but it goes beyond what the draft says to do.

We start from the the fact that there will be as a minimum, two bodies,
the list, and the actual payload. There might be more bodies, such as
multiple payloads, S/MIME signatures, etc.

I guess the algorithm should be:

- If there is any kind of security body for the exploder (e.g., signed
with the public key of the exploder), then remove that body.

- Remove the list itself (in a typical use case, unless an extension
says the oposite; I am referring to Ben's suggestion to allow it).

- If there is only one body left, then remove the multipart/mixed wrapper.

- Send the remaining stuff.

> There are more complex cases:
>
> - for security there could be signed body parts.
>
>    - The signature could be on the multipart containing the message
>      and list. It would have to be removed.
>
>    - The signature could be on just the message. Presumably
>      it should remain.

I agree.

> - There could be other body parts referenced by cid: urls in
>    other headers in the message.

Yes, they should remain.

> I think there needs to be a more prescriptive way of defining what gets
> passed on in the exploded messages. This is really just a manifestation
> of a more general problem of how to decide how different body parts
> should be processed. It potentially exists in a normal, unexploded, MESSAGE.
>
> I think at least part of the answer lies with Content-Disposition. I
> think there should be clarity about the content-disposition should be
> for the body part(s) that MESSAGE interprets as message content.
> Probably "render" (which is default for sip) would be an appropriate
> content-disposition for message content.

Agree so far. It may happen that some of this stuff is generic enough
(not MESSAGE specific).

> Also, I think there should be some clarity about what the
> content-disposition should be for various kinds of multipart containers
> when used in the various ways they may be used in sip. I'm not quite
> sure what the answer is here.
>
> The list itself is of course referenced from a cid: url. It is the url
> and its placement that determines how the corresponding body part should
> be processed. For these, the content-disposition should be some value
> that doesn't imply some other sort of processing. I think it can't be
> any of "session", "render", "alert", or "icon". Maybe it could be
> "attachment".

I will be happy to have a very clear deterministic way to find out what
to pass and what to keep to the other side of the exploder, base on
presumabley the content-disposition. Let's see if I can come up with
something.

Thanks,

     Miguel

--
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland