Re: [Simple] Draft new version: draft-ietf-simple-msrp-cema-06

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 27 June 2012 20:40 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:40:13 -0500
To: Simple WG <simple@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Simple] Draft new version: draft-ietf-simple-msrp-cema-06

As individual:

This revision, along with discussion, addresses my comments to my satisfaction.

I have no objection to the proposed new normative change. When I first thought about this addition, I wondered why we would burden CEMA with it, rather than find a way to apply it to MSRP in general. But on reflection, it seems like CEMA is really about making MSRP easier to use over middleboxes. I think this makes it reasonable to hold CEMA to a higher standard for fingerprint management. If we do some general update to MSRP in the future, we might still consider adding the requirement to the general case.

We should consider, however,  whether CEMA has any common use cases where a self-signed certificate and associated fingerprint would change all the time. (e.g. if self-signed certs were ephemeral).

Thanks!

Ben.