Re: [sip-clf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sipclf-format-07.txt

Gonzalo Salgueiro <gsalguei@cisco.com> Tue, 23 October 2012 21:56 UTC

From: Gonzalo Salgueiro <gsalguei@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:56:18 -0400
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Cc: "sip-clf@ietf.org Mailing" <sip-clf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sipclf-format-07.txt

Thanks Adam. The approach seems reasonable.  I'll make the suggested change.

Just a few comments inline...

<snip>

> I think the text is a bit confused on what UTF-8 means. The phrase "any characters outside the UTF-8 character set" appears many times, and I'm afraid it doesn't really make any sense.
>
> What you probably want to do is define a term somewhere in the document to formally specify "Those Things That Must Be Base-64 Encoded". I would recommend something like:
>
> "For the purposes of this document, we define 'unprintable' to mean a string of octets that: (a) contains an octet with a value in the range of 0 to 31, inclusive; (b) contains an octet with a value of 127; or (c) contains any series of octets greater than or equal to 128 which do not form a valid UTF-8 sequence, as specified by [UNICODE]."

I'll have to expand the definition a bit since there are octets greater than 128 that are non-printable but still valid UTF-8 control characters.  I can go with something like:

"For the purposes of this document, we define 'unprintable' to mean a string of octets that: (a) contains an octet with a value in the range of 0 to 31, inclusive; (b) contains an octet with a value of 127, (c) contains any octet greater than or equal to 128 which is a formatting or control character (such as 128 to 159) within the UTF-8 character set; or (d) falls outside the UTF-8 character range, as specified by [UNICODE]."

Does that sound ok?

> Then, your statements become far simpler; for example: "The Value field for the optional element being logged MUST be Base64 encoded if it is unprintable." And: "For an optionally logged message body (Tag=01) the BEB is set according to whether the message body is unprintable." And: "When optionally logging an entire SIP message (Tag=02) the BEB is set according to whether the message body portion is unprintable."

I'll make the appropriate replacements once we agree on the definition.

> You get the idea.

I do. Thanks.

Cheers,

Gonzalo