Re: [sip-clf] A syslog approach to sip logging

"Rainer Gerhards" <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> Thu, 04 February 2010 11:40 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:41:28 +0100
From: Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, David B Harrington <dbharrington@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] A syslog approach to sip logging

I need to first ask what level of reliability do you need? There are several
flavors of reliability and usually loss of message is acceptable at some
level.

For example, let's assume the process writes out log messages to a text file.
Under (allmost?) all modern operating systems and by default, this means the
OS accepts the information to write, acks it, does NOT persist it to storage
and lets the application continue. The actual data block is usually written a
short while later. Obviously, this is not reliable: you can lose log data if
an unrecoverable i/o error happens or something else goes fatally wrong.

This can be solved by instructing the operating system to actually persist
the information to durable store before returning back from the API. You have
to pay a big performance toll for that. This is also a frequent question for
syslog data, and many operators do NOT sync and accept a small message loss
risk to save themselves from requiring a factor of 10 servers of what they
now need.

But even if writes are synchronous, how does the application react? For
example: what shall the application do if log data cannot be written? If you
really need reliable logging, the only choice is to shutdown the application
when it can no longer log. I know of very few systems that actually do that,
even though "reliability" is highly demanded. Here, the cost of shutting down
the application may be so high (or even fatal), that the limited risk of log
data loss is accepted.

There are a myriad of things when thinking about reliability. So I think it
is important to define the level of reliability that is required by the
solution and do that in detail. To the best of my knowledge, this is also
important for operators who are required by law to do "reliable" logging. If
they have a risk matrix, they can define where it is "impossible" (for
technical or financial reasons) to achieve full reliability and as of my
understanding this is information auditors are looking for.

Having said that, current RFC5425 provided good, but not perfect reliability.
A big problem is that RFC5425 does not provide an application-layer
backchannel and relies on TCP to achieve reliability. That means that when a
connection breaks, there is a window of uncertainty (sender's tcp send
buffers + current TCP window) for which messages may or may not be lost. This
is comparable to the unsynced file access paradigm.

RFC3195 provides a "fully reliable" protocol, but was not accepted by the
syslog community because it was a too-large departure from traditional
syslog. This is the main reason RFC5424/5425 do not specify backchannels. The
syslog WG will hopefully create a "RFC3195bis", which will be a bit simpler
than 3195 was and supports the new header formats. But this is "hopeware" and
not something you can put on a system today or some time this year).

> 2) we can include complete SIP messages. These can get very large.
> (Magnus posted a 40k SDP to the mmusic awhile back, don't even ask how
> large MESSAGE messages get in the wild)

Size was a large problem with traditional syslog and the syslog community
still prefers small sizes. Syslog recommend "maximum message sizes", which
place an upper bound for the message on a given transport and implementation.
The minumum (maximum message size), so the max size that must be supported by
every implementation, is just 2k. The recommended (maximum message size) is
8k. Both are obviously too low. Thankfully, we managed to set no upper limit
per se on the log records. So a syslog receiver may be configured to use any
maximum message size an operator requires - but implementations are not
required to support that capability. IHE, for example, uses 32k for their
messages. Our Windows Event-Log to syslog conversion tool sometimes need to
emit messages in excess of 128K.

So syslog can support that requirement, but some syslog implementations may
not support it. Also, an operator must specifically configure syslog
components for non-default sizes to make everything work. There is definitely
a failure potential in this process, and it is not trivial in a larger
network with different syslog users.

Rainer