Re: [sip-overload] Fwd: draft-shen-sipping-avalanche-restart-overload-00

Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com> Tue, 29 December 2009 21:41 UTC

To: Charles Shen <charles@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:41:22 -0500
Cc: sip-overload-bounces@ietf.org, sip-overload@ietf.org, Arata Koike <koike.arata@lab.ntt.co.jp>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: [sip-overload] Fwd: draft-shen-sipping-avalanche-restart-overload-00

I have an overall concern for this draft in that it attempts to find a
solution for a specific situation, without sufficiently addressing the
(negative) unintended consequences in a variety of other situations.

The basic problem is that the behavior which helps in an “avalanche
restart” scenario is  “bad for business” in a wide variety of other
restart scenarios, and it is highly unlikely that either the user or the
user agent can determine which is which.
For instance, the “example” in section 3.1 suggests that 300 seconds (5
minutes) is a reasonable value for the restart backoff interval (thus the
average backoff would be 2.5 minutes).
This is entirely plausible for an “avalanche restart” event.  But I don’t
think it will be acceptable, to either the users or the Service Providers,
every time a mobile User Agent needs to register due to a “power off
recovery” or a “connection loss recovery”.
The draft suggests that the client side backoff MAY be disabled by  the
human operator.  But, in the vast majority of cases, the human operator
has no way of knowing whether it is an isolated re register or an
avalanche event.   I suspect that the vast majority of users would be
oblivious, and never disable it, and that the more sophisticated users,
who know about it, would always disable it.  Even the knowledgeable but
considerate user is unlikely to know whether this is a local, “only me”
re-connection, or an avalanche.
The Service providers are unlikely to be willing to sacrifice an average
of 150 seconds of potentially billable calls  on every power up or
connection re-establishment.  And if it provided a rival  Service Provider
the opportunity to  offer  “Up to 300 seconds faster initial connection”
the marketing department would never permit it.
A noble attempt to address a real problem, but I fear it is defeated by
the devil of “unintended consequences”
Janet

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shen-sipping-avalanche-restart-overload-00